Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Automatic Transmissions. !!#$%*&$%!!!

It kills me to think that I learned this lesson already with the MR2 swaps. If you start with a running donor car, you get to use every piece as it was in the running vehicle. None of this misery that is troubleshooting an automatic gearbox. I'm not against using automatic transmissions but I'm not ever going to do another swap without a tested, running and driving donor. It's child's play if you have that to start with. All you have to do is take it all from one shape and stuff it into the next.

What I have, is several different Lexus parts and a completely hacked up wiring harness that had I known this was going to be the way it is- I would have waited to find a different car to take the engine from. I certainly would have used more care when removing it from the junkyard car. I had no idea the transmission was crucial to the engine's health, from an electronic perspective. I also would have tested the entire system on the bench/stand before wiring it into the car. As it sits, it starts, stops, runs, shifts and drives. It's just slow. A discouraging, V8 car that feels like an old Chevy V6. Sad, really.

I look at it like this; if nobody buys it, I'll have to fix it. If I'm stuck with it (and it's very likely indeed that I am) I'll probably pull the engine & tranny out and strip all the wires 100%. But let's see if anyone wants it first. It's only about 3 months until the snow starts falling again. Boy I hope I don't have this thing another winter. Sure- it'll come out of the garage next year in a much better state, but I'm not sure I even like it that much. Time will tell.

Almost 100,000 views and only one live person even showed up to look at it and they said they liked it but knew nothing about fuel injected cars. This one isn't for them...

Dude, I will send you my clocks, ECU etc and loom if you like, not a problem, there's fucking loads of dead Lexys here.

:)

I appreciate that, really I do. I'll let you know if I need the speedometer in a few days. If the car is still here next week I'll take the interior out and start all over again but I'm really not looking forward to it. It should just be the dash clocks only.
    See if you can locate one for a 1993 that's CHEAP cheap. I looked on ebay UK and didn't see any. Don't buy anything until I let this current auction run. If it doesn't sell I'll take it all apart & we'll see if we can find a set for the 93 with trac control.

Yeah, over here if you search for 'breaking' you find all the people with cars being stripped. There's loads.

C.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516