Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation purple thunder mk1.5 conversion

The engine is in purple thunder mk1.5 finally!!

I thought I best start a new thread and move out of the introductions forum in to this as the project as started.

After a lot of though I've decided to move alway from my rev5 tubby and start a new project I was a victim of my own success, the rev5 tubby worked perfectly (except for one alternator) for over a year now and I've loved driving it on the track, the strip and the road. Recently though I've come to realise that I enjoy the building as much as the driving and have wanted to do a more indepth project with a lot more work involved and the mk2 doesn't hold that same appeal anymore :crybaby:

I came close to selling it and I was thinking about going down the kit car route but nothing there really that I could afford and interested me, plus I wanted to do some welding and build up my skills in that area as it would all be new to me. After a little reading I decided that I wanted to stay in the mr2 fold as this seems to be the nicest group of people, so the choice was a MK3 or mk1 conversion. After driving a mk1 and seeing how light and nimble it was and that it still had pop up headlights I was sold.

It looks like a mk1.5 conversion is my next project and with that in mind I've stripped the engine out of my car today and brought a mk1 of Seanred :yahoo: This means I will be getting started and seeing if I can make some meets before the end of the year. This time there is no rushing I will be taking my time and dealing with any issues that come up. Before I start removing the engine from the mk1 I'm going to enjoy it this summer while I rebuild the turbo engine. It had a top end rebuild last time it was out so this time it will be a complete bottom end rebuild and hooning around in the mk1.

So this

Plus this

Will make me very happy

And of course the classic

Feel free to throw me any advice and tips you think might be helpful along the way
    Last edited by Chaos19810; 23-08-2016 at 17:54.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Subscribed, 1.5 builds rock.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Ooh, another Mica! Lovely!

Good plan, following this one :-)

Currently I am trying to decider the mystical world that is welding, I want a mig welder but I have no idea which one to buy. I was going to use the school welder but that has fallen through. Any advice?

I think the verdict is get a gas mig and practice practice practice...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Agreed :-)
    Mk2 Rev1 3VZ-FE

helicoil your gearbox mount bolts on the bell housing (use a coarse thread ) and some loctite like 242/243 just to fill the gap in the thread (it stops it rocking in the thread) and reinforce your front lower chasis rail with some 3-4mm+ plate where the front gearbox mount will attach , good luck man.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Cool gas mig it is then I will be practicing lots before I actually start on the engine mounts. So is there any recommendations I have about 150-200 to spend

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Practice? He's got a mk1! He'll be doing nothing BUT practice from now on!

Always love to see a 1.5 build, it's a classic.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast