Thread: using celica S54 tranny?

using celica S54 tranny?

Hello all,

working on a 3SGE swap into my mk1, and have found a hard time getting a MR2 s54 transmission locally. So I'm considering using the celica S54 transmission that came with my engine. I've read many threads about how to modify the center casing and swap the selector shaft over to the correct position. I still have a question though: can I re-use the selector shaft/parts from the celica transmission, and just move them over? Or do I NEED the selector from the MR2 transmission? I can't imagine anyone would sell me just those parts from a transmission, so that might be a problem....

Thanks.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    You need the mr2 selector assembly anyway, plus drilling the celica casing and installing an oil seal is far from easy, get that 1mm out and it will leak.

Your best bet really is an mr2 box.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well, I have the celica transmission on hand and doubt I could sell it for very much, so I'm gonna give the casing drilling a shot. I've done a fair amount of metal fabrication and I'll take my time to get the hole located and oriented right. Thanks for the advice, and I'll try to find someone to sell me the MR2 selector assembly.

Ok, make sure you get the correct revision as they are only interchangeable if you use the same revision detent as well.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Wait a second, I have a later model celica transmission (probably ~1998, because it came with a redtop 3sge), you're telling me it will only work with the MR2 selector parts of a certain revision? As in, 1993+? That would suck, I did find someone who might sell me the selector assembly but it's from a 91 MR2. No way I can mix and match the celica selector parts with the MR2 ones to make it work?

This might be a stupid question, but do you think I could use any of the selector pieces from my original C52 transmission, along with the celica parts that I'm removing from the FWD setup, to make a combo that works? Not sure how much can be swapped between the C and S transmissions, I've just heard the drilling process for the conversion is similar.

No you can't interchange C and S series parts, that won't work.

The Celica selector shaft has a different diameter from revision to revision than Mr2, so while you might get lucky and be able to swap parts i do know if the detent on top of the gearbox is not the same then the selectors will be different too.

If your Celica box is a 98, then it has the later type, if you buy a 91 selector that would make it a rev1 and the parts will be different, look for 93- selector and you should be fine.

Well I managed to find a MR2 S54 transmission, so I guess I'll just keep my celica transmission around for parts in case I ever have issues with it. Engine swap is going along nicely, 3SGE and transmission are currently bolted into the car with adaptor mounts, and I'm starting to look at hooking everything up.

I've read some older threads here about lining up the mk1 clutch line to the S54, and it looks like people have used adaptors to fit the female mk1 clutch line end to the female S54 end. Does anyone know where I can get one of those adaptors? The threads are all from several years ago unfortunately.

Well without hearing about an existing adaptor, I decided to make my own. I bought 2 M12x1.0 brake fittings from ebay, and flared them onto a section of brake tubing, as short as I could make it with my tool. Total cost was 10 bucks. I installed it today, looks pretty good on the car. Only issue is the rubber section of line hangs a little lower now, might zip tie it out of the way at some point. Pics below.