Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiffys 2zz frankenbox

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Jiffys 2zz frankenbox

I agreed to build our hero a special gearbox, one that combined the best of all worlds for his 2zz engine.

So he sent me a Corolla T sport box, the plan being to use the 1st-5th gears to keep his 2zz in lift all the time, if you use a 1zz box it falls out of lift during gearchanges. Then swap in a Mk3 LSD unit, and a Mk3 6th gear pair to give him extra long legs on the motorway.

So this is my gearbox building station with lots of custom made tools that enable me to build gearboxes and a bearing press for reassembly.

Here is the Corolla T sport box....

With my special home made puller i stripped the 5th and 6th gear assemblies down...

Before too long we end up with a gearbox exploded out all over the place....

Then i started work on this 30k 1zz 6 speed, we want this for the LSD, the cases and the 6th pair.

That too got blitzed apart until i was just left with the lower case, which then got steam cleaned, immaculate.

The crown wheel from the 2zz diff needs using on the LSD diff, they look very similar but if you used the 1zz diff with the 2zz internals very bad things would happen!

Final assembly starts, LSD in, 2zz internal gears in, but lets use the shiney 30k 1zz selector stuff, why not.

The cases built back up and the Mk3 6th set installed...

And there we have it, one 2zz/LSD/Mk3 longer 6th custom built gearbox.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Just gobsmacking. I've got mates in the trade who still treat gearboxes as "farm it out" job, yet you literally blitzed it in half a day.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Yep around 4 hours to strip both boxes down and rebuild the new one, to be fair i didn't have to preload the diff on this one because it came from the cases we used, that saved a good hour.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Awesome work, its like watching the mechanical equivalent of open heart surgery!

Next week..... open heart surgery.... fuck it, why not. :)

Hey, I might be a candidate for that open heart surgery hahaha, not really.
    Great work on that trans. I have never taken apart a front wheel drive manual box. I have however, done several T5 trannies from the fox body Mustangs. Those things are a breeze to rebuild.

I would have paid 100 quid for a step by step "how to" video with proper part numbers and exact procedures on how to do what you just did. As a matter of fact, that's how I learned how to rebuild a Manual 5 speed gearbox. I bought this guy's DVD and had it playing in the laptop while I did it.

Next time you rebuild a FWD manual gearbox, make and sell videos because people would buy them. Nice work!

Paul, What are the options with a Celica 6 speed & a MR2 5 speed with LSD fitting onto a 2ZZ for a track orientedish car that has to be driven there.

You definitely need celica 1-5; otherwise you'll be falling out lift. I'm gonna to guess your only options would be around the diff size and 6th gear. The Mr-s has a shorter diff, but I think that could make for an ear bleeding experience on the motorway.

Edit: just checked.
    Mr2 6th gear = 0.725
    2zz 6th gear = 0.815

Diffs:
    MR2 uk = 3.941 (LSD)
    MR2 JDM = 4.312 (non LSD)
    Celica uk = 4.529 (non LSD)
    Last edited by Jiff Lemon; 05-05-2015 at 11:54.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Also you have to match the crownwheel to the final drive, so that rules out using anything other than the 2zz internals throughout 1-5 and the diff final..... but you can have the Mr2 6th pair for longer motorway legs and a LSD.

So apart from the LSD the MR2 5 speed is not a lot of use, is it possible to buy the 6th gears, or is it easier just to buy a 6 speed MR2 box?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast