Thread: Unfortuante History- Like British Leyland? The AMC Pacer

Unfortuante History- Like British Leyland? The AMC Pacer

Growing up in Detroit, I remember the emergence of this car. I remember the corporation "AMC" (American Motors Corporation). The TV Commercials and the new car dealerships around town, AMC was just a part of the tapestry. The cars were littered in the picture memories of the Detroit and Midwestern highways throughout everyone's lives from this era.

I remember the iconic Detroit Muscle scene of the 60's, if only through the words of the adults at the backyard barbeques and the neighborhood garage talk in the summertime. They would all tell stories of Gratiot avenue, Woodward Cruise nights and downtown Detroit, and the cars. Oh the cars. The old, cigarette smoking, cheap American beer drinking guys in every driveway throughout my youth perhaps shaped a lot of guys.
    Some are die hard US car guys to this day and others couldn't care for most of the manufacturers, any less than they do.

Generally, I fall somewhere in between. I'm a Dodge fan, Chevy is never an option. Never was. Ford's ok, if you like heavy, down on power things, but they're improving with the European copied V6 and 4 cylinder turbo production cars and trucks, with the new Ecoboost line of engines. Everyone knows the Japanese and the Germans have it pretty well sorted out these days.

Scrolling through the Smart TV plethora of the internet on You tube, I ran across this little film. It's a look into the history of the AMC corporation and a little glance into history of the United States in the early 70's. I saw resemblances of British Leyland in the way things happened for both firms of the era.

I've driven several of these cars, when we were in high school, our older parents and grandparents owned them. The only one that was ever "cool" or particularly fast was the AMX, and those were rare, even when they were 10 years old.

Some of the guys speaking in this video, were on a much smaller scale, our version of Top Gear. TV presenters that we watched, while we were growing up and developing our own sense of 1980's style and sense of what a car should be. AMC was never a choice, but they are all rear wheel drive and you never know- one just might find itself with a Japanese engine in it one day. Take a look at this interesting little car. Ugly, sure. Interesting car and story? Yeah.

Last edited by Grenade; 18-04-2015 at 04:53.

Wayne's world Wayne's world excellent mullet time and Mötley Crüe on the 8 track.

That car, over there- is awesome. Over here, just weird.

If you had that one, WOW now that's a one off.

I love the pacer, I'd rock one here no problem (with mullet if I had the car...). Cool video too.

Since I'm pretty much bald on top, I'd have to grow a Skullet. lol

Way ahead of you I've got a fryer tuck going on