Thread: Where do i start.. mk1a or b, no a, could be b... no defo a

Where do i start.. mk1a or b, no a, could be b... no defo a

As subject says.. is it or isnt it?
    So my reasons for this, ive had a b nearly 10years ago. Loved my car, might still be floating around.

So my new one, i got it eventually last night after failing its a MOT last week n going throu some welding on some bits.
    85 plate B reg.

Right ive looked up the differences,
    But....
    Front lip metal on mk1a .. mines plastic.
    Rear speakers on mk1b.. someone fitted them in the mk1a
    Rear center compartment had no lid on a mk1a... mine has.
    The side air inlet.. mk1a is split in 2 sections and flatter? i have the mk1b version.
    Plus many other confusing bits? No complaints thou.

Tonnes of paperwork with MOTs back as far as '91.. maybe further, and all receipts for all work done aswel.
    So no complaints on a 30 year old car.

Sits on 137,000 and MOTs match up to it aswel.

Right the bits cant believe someone actually done to the poor car!
    A carbon fibre boot spoiler! Why why why!
    A Ferrari style gear box plate! Oh jesus u can hardly get it into gear!
    17" tsw venoms! Again why why why!
    (These bits are goin up for sale)

Right my questions,
    1. when u push the front of the mk1 do they bounce? Silly question? Well it goes over bumps and tilts rear left to front right? Is this a suspension fault.

2. where can i get a new sunroof seal as there is mould in the car on the roof lining and floor?

3. Right i booted 1st, 2nd then (eventually found 3rd round tht stupid plate) but it suddenly started shakin.. alot!
    Is it driveshafts or the terrible alloys being out of alignment?

4. Headlights have a mind of there own!!
    Right they go up fine, but, they seem to take on a mind of there own, when u put it in position down, the dancing starts. One down, the other one down, then the other one up, then they change places, then one goes down and one well doesnt no wat it wants lol.

So the engine pretty clean looking and rebuilt

And the car only pic i have so far. No idea why someone bought (as stated by the receipt) honda galaxy silver! Erm it looks bronze!

All help is appreciated as ive come for the last 6 years owning a vag! (Leon cupra T)

Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by eMaRtwo View Post
    Right my questions,
    1. when u push the front of the mk1 do they bounce? Silly question? Well it goes over bumps and tilts rear left to front right? Is this a suspension fault.

2. where can i get a new sunroof seal as there is mould in the car on the roof lining and floor?

3. Right i booted 1st, 2nd then (eventually found 3rd round tht stupid plate) but it suddenly started shakin.. alot!
    Is it driveshafts or the terrible alloys being out of alignment?

4. Headlights have a mind of there own!!
    Right they go up fine, but, they seem to take on a mind of there own, when u put it in position down, the dancing starts. One down, the other one down, then the other one up, then they change places, then one goes down and one well doesnt no wat it wants lol.
    1) Certainly sounds like faulty suspension - Get underneath and check your ARB mountings too.

2) I'd start by cleaning all the mould first - If the car has been stood for a while, it's not uncommon for mould to form. Clean it and dry it out before worrying about the seals

3) Too many things it could be - Those dodgy venoms could be another possibility.

4) Ah the headlamp dance.... Most likely the Headlight Retract Control relay, in the frunk, just beside the wiper motor.
    Water gets in usually and causes the headlights to do their funky stuff. Pull the relay, see if it's wet. If so, let the relay and plug/socket dry out and then replace and try it.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Thanks for the reply, the lights have stopped dancing now. So it could of been as you said. Some kinda rain dance they was performing.

The suspension went through a thorough MOT so ill check the ARB.
    And im hoping it is just internal mould growing me some lovely plants. But i spoke to a mk1 breaker and he can do the sunroof seal for 12 quid so not too bad.
    And i found out the wheels arent trackd so that would explain the severe shaking of its tail feathers.
    Started a small restore lastnight and the boot is like a treasure trove!
    Spare lights (whole front unit)
    Spare motor bits
    Speedo lead,
    Spare boot release and lead.

Plus many moreee things

I wouldn't do the tracking until you have ensured that your ARB's and assorted other suspension components are all good. Once you change anything, it will need re-tracking imho.

Then get all 4 wheels balanced (not just the god damn fronts people!) and pay for a 4 wheel tracking check & adjust. With sound / replaced components and a full setup it will run like an arrow.

If you need to change any bushes, go poly, well worth it.

Yeh they are doing the full poly bush kit on ebay for the whole.car i think. . So might go down that route. and the garage i use only do 4 wheels alignment. So after the alloys are changed bk to standard ones ill check it again :)

What kind of alloys you looking for mk1a or mk1b ?
    Also a lot of late B reg were crossover models with both mk1a and B parts(Toyota just used up the A stuff till the B was available.
    Didyour car have a roof aerial on the drivers side or rear quarter aerial?
    Shouldn't be to hard to see even with a respray

Drivers side roof. U can see the poorly filled hole. And its the 85 plate so it was before the crossover. As i know the owners before me bought sideskirts as the receipt is in the pack of bits i got. Every receipt for every bit of work was in tht pack.
    And i might keep the orig ones but look at some 15s or 16s dish jap styles. Gotta give it some character while i have her :)

Borbet A are a popular choice or bbs mesh rims, have a look at Japan racing they have some funky rims on there.

I will do thanks :)