Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We Diagnose Please? V8 Toyota Engine

I have power to the MAF, it's required or it won't start. I remember something about that early on but have to check.

I checked the MAF. there is 4.8V at the plug on several of the wires when it's unplugged and the ignition is on.
    When the motor is running, I unplugged it and it got WAY worse. Plugged it back in and smooth idle.

okay, so there should be some data there. Pretty sure JF has tested it on a 1UZ, but maybe worth dropping him a quick email. I know he loves feedback.

16 pin plug pin 3 should be the CHECK ENGINE light? I'm finding conflicting information about that. What does seem to come up a lot is the fact that its a BLUE/YELLOW wire. Have a look at "This is how you wire up a 1UZ-FE Engine.pdf" which i think you sent me. Also this might help.

That's how I did it. Basically. The "W" is in the diagnostic port. It ends up from the ECU, but this is the easy access to it. I think my ECU is fried. Remember when I saw smoke coming from it? hahaha I'm real good at that stuff. Light the match and walk away...

Anyway, I'm going to try another Android device that is newer. Coty's buddy has one. I can't use an iphone, I forgot.

And I will email the pics to JF. The rest of tonight, I think is going to be spent playing loud rock and roll and having a laugh. We'll get to the bottom of it. Tomorrow.

If it will be on any help my lad has a Soarer currently until he gets the dash sorted & then it's sold, but if you need an values off a nice running car we should be able to get them

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
    I think my ECU is fried. Remember when I saw smoke coming from it?
    Doesn't sound good, when electronics release their smoke I mean. It's never easy to get the smoke back in again.

Hahaha, I know, I tried to catch the smoke. That's funny, nice one!

We thought that ECU wouldn't start the engine at all after that. I basically put power to the wrong pins and it smelled and a little puff appeared. I checked to see what I did, and it was put power to the ABS circuit incorrectly. I thought it was junk at that point.
    It ended up firing the engine and I thought I dodged a bullet on that one. Maybe I did, but also it's possible I cooked it.

JF sent me a trouble shooting test, to see if my ECU is in fact sending data at all. I'll run that test in a couple hours and post my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    If it will be on any help my lad has a Soarer currently until he gets the dash sorted & then it's sold, but if you need an values off a nice running car we should be able to get them
    Thank you, a comparison might be necessary later on. If you can grab live data, go ahead and just make a note of it. That way, if we need it in the future, anyone with a 1UZ might find it useful. Cool beans.

Not sure if it's relevant, but my LS400 ECU was dumping fuel into one (or more) of the cylinders for no damn good reason. Research led me to the capacitors being subpar (smoke you experienced could be from one of these). Anyways I performed the following procedure on my LS400 and afterwards was like night and day. Performed way better, no fuel blowing out the muffler either. I think it cost me $50 including the caps and tools to do the work.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...capacitor.html

Couple of ideas paul, trace the w and te1 wires back to the ecu. Earth the te1 wire at the ecu itself and connect your fault code bulb at the ecu too just to rule out issues with the diagnostic plug the pins can corrode.

Also pop your ecu lid off and check for signs oof blown capacitators on the boards there normally obvious to see

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast