Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We Diagnose Please? V8 Toyota Engine

Have you checked the afm / maf is connected up properly and giving sensible signals?

The Bluetooth reader should give you error codes, hopefully that will help narrow things down.

Also worth mentioning, im guessing you wired up just enough to get the engine running as per the Soarer forum or whatever. There's a possibility that something isnt wired up, and thats whats messing things up. Just an idea of course. It might be worth reviewing what is (and isnt) wired. You might see codes on the ECU for what it thinks is missing.

http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/

It's plugged in. I got the dongle to connect to my engine. It says connected but shows a black screen only. I don't know how to use the 'effing thing. Runs like junk.

I'll go connect a light bulb and see what the hell it wants. It might want to be replaced with a different colored engine haha.
    Last edited by Grenade; 03-04-2015 at 19:21.

Hang in there big guy. Plug it in (i made one of these)

Switch on the ignition, you should see a blue blinky light on the underside. Open the App on something android, and it will activate Bluetooth on your device and connect to the dongle. And you should see this.....

Took me a few goes, but well worth persisting with. Gimme a shout on Skype if you're having trouble with it.

I see this, but with no data.

It just shows toyobd1 in that gray bar at the top and that it's connected. Then it really won't do anything else. It doesn't show any data.

So I connected a light bulb to the "W" in the diagnostics port, like it says in the diagrams. Then, the other wire on the bulb goes to switched power. I turn on the main switch in the car, the light lights up. It doesn't blink with the terminals TE1 and E1 jumped. Start the car, light shuts off. No blinks, same shitty run condition. I wonder what the proper setting for the display is, on my phone app? Should it be set on something different I wonder?

Alright, it was a setting on the app itself. Because it's an old device- it wanted the old text mode of data display.

I am going to have to see what all of this means. My phone wouldn't screen shot, so I ran in and got the regular camera. Man I need a new phone haha.

Is that with the engine running? Because that looks like its not reading any values.

Yes. The engine was running. Now that I have it working, I can do it again. I read through the glossary- this thing is freaking out if that's correct. It thinks the starter is engaged and a bunch of other stuff.

I'll go do it again and see if it changes.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Have you wired up power to the MAF? I haven't looked at the diagrams yet, but i bet there is a power feed to the MAF that needs manually connecting, like the V6 engines have.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yeah, that's all it does. it won't show anything at all in any other display mode.

And the "old text mode" doesn't change regardless of the engine running. I'll try it again with Jamie's iphone when she gets back. This android device is about five years old I think.

It also could be down to the ECU. Seems weird. Nothing can go easy all the time...

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast