Thread: Any Common Thrust Issues?

Any Common Thrust Issues?

Hey guys, Have you ever heard of any common thrust washer issues on stock 7 rib 4age's? I am just curious because I had a long block rebuilt for me, and 10k miles later, the thrust washer was completely worn down, roughly 2-3 thousandths away from rubbing on the main cap.
    I noticed this because the engine lost compression, unsure of why yet but when I was checking cam timing I grabbed the crank pulley and felt it move, thats when I looked at that thrust.

Theres only a couple things I can think of, A clutch that isn't adjusted right or a harsh racing clutch, or the crank was out of spec to begin with...
    Beings that I have a stock new clutch that shows no signs of heat or abuse, what would cause the thrust washer to wear out that fast?

Thanks

Hi,

You might need to add some context around your setup.

Ive seen this on big inline engines with autoboxes, so I guess if you had a fierce enough clutch setup it might have the same effect. Ive never touched the bottom end on a 4AG, but is it possible there was an error on the rebuild, causing stress in the wrong places. Pistons facing the wrong way etc?

Chris.

Well thats just it, every single thing on my car was 100% stock! I figured that the stock clutch or throw out bearing or something would wear out before the thrust washer! and only 10k miles is very disappointing.
    I would really like to figure it out, mostly just to make me understand. If i could get it warrantied and rebuilt it would help with the cost of the 2gr, selling a fresh 4age!

I haven't taken the crank out or the head off or anything (worried it might void warranty), compression was (from cyl 1-4) 75psi,35,20,25.
    Car ran great all day long, put 240 miles on the track that day. when I left the track to go to dinner, still running great, after dinner car wouldn't start with no compression!

Possible oil starvation if you tracked the car?

the thrust washer is a splash oiled anyways, it gets no oil pressure. It was never ran low on oil if thats what you mean,
    It may have been getting oil starvation due to having a stock oil pan? that might explain the compression issue if the rings are bad... the head looked good, no signs of starvation from the top.

I would think a rod bearing would be the first thing to go out if i wasn't getting good oil pressure...

I've not heard of oil starvation on the 4age but on the 3vz it can slosh to one side in the standard pan. It doesn't take long at 7k RPM to ruin a bearing if you've no oil!