Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling 3sgte - no longer a whiplash machine

Struggling 3sgte - no longer a whiplash machine

Hi all.

It's been a busy year or two and have hardly had a chance to drive the 1.5. However, I found time to take it for a spin at the weekend and it felt seriously down on power. It made boost just fine, made all the right noises and drove perfectly well except under full throttle. There was no misfiring, stuttering or engine codes. I had no time to find the problem, so once I get back I'll check for boost leaks and possibly replace plugs, leads etc. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should be thinking about to get this sorted. I've attached a video (made on a private road) of the issue. Foot to the floor 3rd and 4th gear pulls, and the car really struggle past 4.5krevs. Anything else to consider?

https://youtu.be/OF390EMlyqg

Many thanks!

If it was working fine, and after being stood it isnt, i think i would start with some obvious things. Plugs, degraded HT lead etc.

Take a look in the engine bay when its dark, see if anything is shorting out. Air leaks are always a possibility, but generally not something that happens from it being stood.

c.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    If it's a rev1/2 check the AFM flap is moving freely, they're a bugger for sticking when not in use.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Take a look in your exhaust for nesting animals too

Many thanks for the advice chaps. I wish I had time for a decent look at it but it'll be afew weeks until I'm back in the valleys.
    Yep, it's a rev2 so I'll definitely whip the AFM off and give it a once over. It's stuff like that I wouldn't think of.

I've got a spare turbo AFM if it was suspect or doesn't respond to a kindly chat.

I've several tins of Wd40 if you need any of them!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Cheers lads, I'll report back in afew weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast