Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine overhaul questions

Nonsense! Keep up the good work and give the toddler a toy wrench!

Liking the baffle - just making sure you've got clearance when you rotate the crank.
    Dummy fit the sump - no sealer yet - rotate the crank, make sure nothing catches.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I take them up to about 85FtLB in several passes
    The irony there is that 85ft.lbs is actually more torque than the BGB proceedure with the two 90* turns.

85lbs.ft=115nm

I have observed the final torque setting is 109nm on my Snap-on digital torque wrench after doing the two 90's, so you're actually going over manufacturers spec mate.

I always follow the BGB religiously on V6 swaps, having torqued down over 200 heads using the 90* method.

Love the baffle Lasse, looks great.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Interesting.

I'm constantly surprised at my own success rate despite not actually knowing what I'm doing.

Imagine what I could achieve if I applied myself.

Sounds exhausting just thinking about it.

(Opens another Doombar)

C.

Haha, toy wrench it is!
    I've dummy fitted the sump, and it has good clearance (about 1-1,5cm) to the drip tray under the crank, so everything looks good.
    I will also have an oilpressure gauge fitted, so I can keep an eye on things (I'm sort of addicted to track days... )

Thanks for the kind words, I will try to keep things up!

Not much news here, bolted one head to the block, but two exhaust valves is missing, so I can not finish the other one yet.
    New valves is ordered, but as these engines i quite rare up here, it is a bit of waiting time for them to arrive...
    But a new question has come up!
    I have an aeromotive FPR laying around, any point in using this on the 3vzfe in NA form? I also bought an Eaton M62 SC, I will not mount that just yet, as it will take a lot of fabrication (next winter I suppose), maybe it makes more sense in waiting for the SC to mount the FPR? Or is it not any point in mounting the FPR at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
    I have an aeromotive FPR laying around, any point in using this on the 3vzfe in NA form?
    I've seen 20 or 30 3VZ-FE engines Lasse, including my own and I've never seen an FPR on any of them, even if they have an uprated fuel pump.

It's only the 2GRs that I've ever seen with them fitted.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

The 3vz has its own pressure regulator, plus its own return. The 1mz and 2gr engines don't, which is why we fit an aftermarket FPR on swaps.

You can fit 1mz fuel rails onto a 3vz and fit an aftermarket FPR, but you're only going to see the benefits if you've fitted bigger injectors and want to tinker with fueling over and above stock.

Personally I would stick with the 3vz setup, because it works just fine.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    I've seen 20 or 30 3VZ-FE engines Lasse, including my own and I've never seen an FPR on any of them, even if they have an uprated fuel pump.

It's only the 2GRs that I've ever seen with them fitted.
    Does this qualify :)

I'm not sure how that's been applied, one of the ports on the FPR has been blanked off, and the stock FPR (yellowy end cap) is still fitted.

Looks very pretty though.

:)

C.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast