Nice. There's a good explanation of the overall technology on Wikipedia, and yes I read some conflicting stuff from internet fucknuggets before I made a point of understanding what it actually does.

People disconnect them, remove them completely or sometimes do something in between. It's pretty hilarious watch clueless people fuck with things they don't understand.

That being said, most cars are tuned to a sensible compromise between three things - power, economy and driveability. You can shift the balance of any or all of these at a cost, for example you can tweak a car for awesome economy, but performance will obviously be impacted. You can increase power, but economy and driveability will take a hit.

People have had some success with acis mods, but unless you drive like miss daisy all the time, or drive WOT in the red all the time, I doubt very much that you will see any gains.

I do tend to ditch the canister on most 3vz swaps and some 1mz swaps, usually because the cans are twatted, but generally because it takes the soft on / off away. I'm sure that worked in Cammy, but nobody wants a gentle ride in a V6 MR2 do they? (Except maybe John....)

:)