Thread: Bleeding the brakes on a Mk2

Bleeding the brakes on a Mk2

Got a bit of air in my brakes (i think) on the Blue Rev3 V6. First press is a little timid, second and third press firms up nicely.

Don't think I've ever had to bleed the brakes on a Mk2, anyone got any tips and tricks? I've got a one man bleed kit that Fatprick bought me, so will probably be using that.

Just use an easybleed tube and you should be fine, though you'll need a second pair of hands / feet to pump the pedal whilst someone tweeks the nipples. I did mine with a manual tube back in the day

Employ melons mate, one man kits and eezibleeds are useful but it's nearly always easier with 2 people

Start spraying the bleed nipples with WD40 now.... repeat daily. Alternatively, blowtorch them and use a six sided socket to loosen them off. You do not want the pain of drilling out a snapped off bleeder.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Brake spanners. Bloody wonderful things. Saves rounding off bleed nipples. Oh and for some reason on a jap car, a lot of the bleed nipples are 5/16ths

Good tips all folks.

Is there a bleed order, or am I just showing my age? I was hopefully going to use the one man bleed kit and an unwilling assistant, it just ensures the fluid level is maintained.

I've always managed to bleed my brakes on my own. Tube from brake nipple into big jar of brake fluid. There Is an order, can't remember what it is though. May be in the bgb?
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

The order is furthest away from master cylinder is bled first - so passenger side rear then drivers side rear then passenger front etc.

If you upturn the can of fluid into the reservoir it ensures that there's always a supply of fluid (until the can empties that is). There are also 2 schools of thought about having the engine running when bleeding so that the servo is charged but I've not seen any evidence to suggest that this is any better.

As Jiff said, ensure drivers and passenger nipples are well soaked before you tweak them. :icon_smile:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Always clean and grease nipples, tweaking nipples is not recommended as the owners can get rather annoyed when you twist them too hard and you get nip breakage or a slap.