Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V6 to MK3 Idiot Guide

V6 to MK3 Idiot Guide

We all know I'm a dreamer & as always it will probably never happen but things are changing & it may free up some funds for a transplant. The clear easiest is the 2ZZ route, I've read up on it, there are a few confusing things over on the ROC forum & a couple arguing about exactly what is needed, but I'm pretty sure I can get around those issues. But I'm not sure that a 2ZZ really floats my boat, unless of course it got turbo'd next year, I've seen a few posts about turbo Celica's so it must be possible.

But the lure of the V6 is ever present, we had a 2.3 Grandad quite a few number ago & that was so smooth to drive. However there is not a great deal of information about what is needed to put a V6 in a MK3 unless of course I'm looking in the wrong place. I've picked up snippets, but nowhere is the whole hog like the write-up Paul did on the first 1.5 many years ago.

So here is what I do know bearing in mind I cannot afford the lovely 2GR engine that is sat doing nothing in Durham.

The engine of choice will have to be the 1MZ mated to a MK2 N/A gearbox with some work needed to the flywheel, it can have an extended 5th gear put in from an Avensis?? & I think it can have the LSD from the MK3 fitted.
    Driveshafts No idea
    Bearing Carrier No idea
    Hubs No idea
    Rear Subframe Needs to have a slot cut in it, I'm presuming this is for the gearbox & also for an exhaust manifold/pipe
    To aid servicing in the future a access panel needs to go in the firewall so plugs can be changed without dropping engine
    Engine mounts, these appear to be bolt in, so is it a matter of hanging the engine in a 3D-4D maze & then pick up the points?
    The engine will have to run it's own ECU that comes from the Camry & the MK3 ECU will remain to power the dash, I have seen no wiring diagrams just it mentioned.
    The rear crossmember has to be modified for clearance (presumably)

So if anyone has anything constructive which can assist me I will/would be most grateful.

From memory (and happy to be corrected)
    Mk2 N/a gearbox, with MK3 diff and extended 5th.
    Mk2 Driveshafts fitted into Mk3 hubs, build/modify your bearing carrier.

The hard parts are:
    Upper rear crossmember needs redesigning for clearance. Access panel for front bank. Hanging the damn thing.

Still, I did my Mk1 V6 long before the jig was available, so it can be done with a bit of patience.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

If you honestly want to make this swap happen forget the fancy box for the interim just put a bog standard s54 in. A lsd diff and the 2 cogs required for the extended 5th will cost you £400 or more, taking a gearbox to bits isn't for the faint hearted i did mine, but only as i had a spare box and got the diff for £60 i did the extended 5th after rebuilding everything else and was happy it would work so i would only of been down £60 if it went wrong.

Go with a normal s54, if you can manage to get a working v6 over the finish line doing a gearbox swap at a later date will be no issue

Not even sure i would bother with n LSD. Find a cheap camry, £500-£1000, S54 box (cheap on ebay all the long day), Woorsport mount, some welding up, a decent clutch, the rest is tinkering. I reckon with a bit of input from on here, under £1000 is achievable.

Never done a Mk3, but i'm pretty sure ChrisT, meself and probably others can help out with the heavy lifting. If you wait for an ideal alignment of planets, you will never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon View Post
    The hard parts are:
    Upper rear crossmember needs redesigning for clearance. Access panel for front bank. Hanging the damn thing.
    Yep I see these as the deal breakers, 1 & 2 are not tooooo bad but it's 3 that concerns me. Do MK2 driveshafts fit straight into MK3 hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    If you honestly want to make this swap happen forget the fancy box for the interim just put a bog standard s54 in. A lsd diff and the 2 cogs required for the extended 5th will cost you £400 or more, taking a gearbox to bits isn't for the faint hearted i did mine, but only as i had a spare box and got the diff for £60 i did the extended 5th after rebuilding everything else and was happy it would work so i would only of been down £60 if it went wrong.

Go with a normal s54, if you can manage to get a working v6 over the finish line doing a gearbox swap at a later date will be no issue
    I didn't figure on doing the box myself TBH, I only thought about the LSD as I already have that in the car at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Find a cheap camry, £500-£1000, S54 box (cheap on ebay all the long day), Woorsport mount, some welding up, a decent clutch, the rest is tinkering. I reckon with a bit of input from on here, under £1000 is achievable.

Never done a Mk3, but i'm pretty sure ChrisT, meself and probably others can help out with the heavy lifting. If you wait for an ideal alignment of planets, you will never do it.
    Have found a Camry well been offered it for £500 with MOT, if it can be done for £1K that would be phenomenal, I just need to get to the end of this month before anything can happen, but I can now start looking out for a NA box & a couple of driveshafts

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Do MK2 driveshafts fit straight into MK3 hubs?
    If they don't, it'll be that the shafts fit the MK3 joints. You've got ABS to consider....
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Not even sure i would bother with n LSD. Find a cheap camry, £500-£1000, S54 box (cheap on ebay all the long day), Woorsport mount, some welding up, a decent clutch, the rest is tinkering. I reckon with a bit of input from on here, under £1000 is achievable.

Agreed. Come on in, the water is surprisingly warm for this time of year.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I don't know where to start....

Celica St202 gearbox, not Mr2 S54.
    Mk3 shafts
    Custom axle bearing carrier bracket (you have to make this)
    Right chassis mount needs making, plates welded in and WS mount
    Left chassis rail needs no welding, but needs custom hanger bracket (again needs making)
    Gearshift linkage is extremely complicated, it's a hybrid Mk3 selector assembly modified to fit onto the St202 gearbox.
    Right chassis rail and strut tower need clearance
    Engine lid slam panel needs mods
    Wiring is a nightmare, both original and V6 ECU need running in tandem to keep both engine and dash happy.
    EFI coolant sensor housing for original 1zz ECU needs making.
    Custom gear cable holders.
    Subframe mods.
    Radiator pipework to the engine is difficult.
    Radiator needs upgrading, stock won't cope.
    Exhaust manifolds need making/modifying.
    Probably lots more i've forgot right now.

I would honestly say a V6 Mk3 is beyond the average homebuilder, i hate saying that because i do them routinely, but fact is a V6 Mk3 is in a completely different league to a relatively plug in V6 Mk2.

In short it's a ten spanner rating out of five.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well that pissed on my bonfire no seriously that is good info, lots to think about, but when it comes to 5 spanners that just about describes me :)

Im sure paul would hold your hand through it. If you can get one hung i think that would be you well on the road

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast