Thread: Replacement Battery terminal clamps - Brass or gold plated...Any good???

Replacement Battery terminal clamps - Brass or gold plated...Any good???

Last week I had to disconnect my battery and whilst replacing it I noticed that the positive terminal clamp just wouldn't tighten and can be slipped off with ease..

Whilst looking on eBay to see if there was a suitable OEM replacement I found some gold plated and brass ones. I appreciate that the plated ones are for noise suppression on sound systems but given the conductivity properties of the materials would it be a better option to replace both terminal with GP or brass or replace it with OEM which I know is recommended for ther job.

Is there any benefit bearing in mind I do around 3-3.5k a year and my car is always outside. The battery is a Halfords calcium one that is in good nick so I'm happy with it and the costs either way aren't an issue so any advice that can sway me is appreciated.

John.
    Last edited by Torero; 16-02-2015 at 12:06.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

are you sure you were turning the nut clockwise?
    my personal preference would be brass or oem. i think the goldy ones are for the sound system boys.

Whichever ones you replace yours with-
    Use the felt insulators and they won't corrode at all. It gets insanely cold here (-30C and in the summer +40C). Since I've been using the little red and green felt insulators with a bit of conductive grease, I haven't had to clean the terminals once.

I've fitted the gold clamp ones with the three different cable sizes so you can run sound system cables and find them very easy to use my ones have a volt meter in them so you can see if the battery is being charged or there is a drain, only problems I found are if your using small round terminal battery posts you can't get the clamping force I had to buy the battery adapters terminal posts to make them bigger .

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post
    are you sure you were turning the nut clockwise?
    Indeed I was, the clamp was tightening but wouldn't hold on the terminal post.

Thanks Paul, that sounds very useful. :thumbsup:

Those were the ones I saw Mike but wondered if they were up to the job.

I think OEM is possibly the best option.
    Last edited by Torero; 16-02-2015 at 19:47.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Had the same problem in my dads car. I removed the plastic from the clamp and now it tightens up fine [emoji106]