Thread: Engine conversion/swap. Conflicting advice and opinions. Help.

Engine conversion/swap. Conflicting advice and opinions. Help.

UK 93 N/A rev2, slowly getting it ready for its tubby conversion.

First engine turned out to be a non starter (no pun intended) so I have another one in the shadows so to speak.

Problem is I keep getting conflicting advice and opinions.

So here goes, the lump is a from an st185 Celica minus the turbo and it needs a new block to transfer everything into.

Now, here's the thing. I'm told that fitting this to my MR2 is more hassle than it's worth due to pipes not being the same?

Although others have claimed to have fitted this in their MR2 and mated it to the MR2 box, driveshafts and hubs no problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this entire thing?

When you love your car, no task is more hassle than it's worth. As far as the specifics of your swap, someone else will chime in and help you a bit better than I can because if I take the engine out of an MK2, it's gets a V6. It's worth it, enjoy yourself, learn a bunch and have some laughs!

Hi,

Firstly, don't believe anything you read on Facebook (just in case you have been there). There's perfectly good knowledge here and on the main MR2 forums.

Not sure what pipes are going to be the hurdle here, do you have any more info? There are plenty of people that have taken Celica kit and made it fit into MR2 and vice versa. At the end of the day its all down to how much you want to spend in time and money; its all doable basically.

Find a build thread where someone has done the same and pick their brains. We all love to tell our stories.

Or, give Paul Woods a call. 5 minutes of time with the man that will have wither done it or know what will / wont work, will save you much time.

Now lets have some pics.

:)

Chris.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Be aware if you call i may try to talk dirty, hey you're a stranger and you're paying for the call....it's the closest i get to being one of those chat lines.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here