Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what swap is right for me?

Good plan thumbs up from me

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    There is always the VVti 1mz too, it's a stonking engine, will produce the noise you want and won't break the bank..... but i honestly think that particular car deserves a 2gr.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    I use Avensis pedals in my 2gr swaps because they are the most compact DBW pedal you can get, they will literally fit in the smallest of spaces, i can also custom make the pedal assembly itself to suit an awkward space.

There are ways to achieve a 2gr by biting it off in chunks rather than needed a huge wedge of cash all in one hit, most of my customers pre order the engines then save for the rest of the stuff etc, so although it is an expensive thing to do it can be way less painful on the wallet.

I just don't see any other engine fitting the bill for that car, we are also carrying out a very similar 2gr install on the Lister Bell Lancia Stratos replica soon, which has a very similar engine bay to yours.

We have a lot of people travel from right across Europe to have a conversion done here, currently got a French Mk2 on the lift having a vvti 1mz fitted, but have done cars from Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain.... although i'm in the North it doesn't seem to bother folk.
    Some fabrication would be needed for the pedal, but I can see that working to some degree, nice tight space down there :D

How long does fitting take generally? reason I ask is would you be opposed to me being around. Not because I don't trust you or anything like that, quite simply I like to know the car inside out in case of issues seeing as ive built it and dare i say not done best practices in areas although tried. Hell I may even be of use. :D

Im sure nearer the time (which looks to be longer then i thought) i'll be in touch Paul, this is more of a challenge to me in terms of studied and learnt the MR2 as i stripped it.

There is always the VVti 1mz too, it's a stonking engine, will produce the noise you want and won't break the bank..... but i honestly think that particular car deserves a 2gr.
    I haven't done anything by halves so far....I wont be starting now :)

(my Gf better not read this)

Well, i do quite indepth build threads from time to time, so you can practically follow along on a daily basis, you would be more than welcome to be here day to day to seeing it being built as it happens but on a 4 week build it isn't going to be easy for you.

We can talk about it nearer the time, but i'm happy to have you as involved as you want to be.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well, i do quite indepth build threads from time to time, so you can practically follow along on a daily basis, you would be more than welcome to be here day to day to seeing it being built as it happens but on a 4 week build it isn't going to be easy for you.

We can talk about it nearer the time, but i'm happy to have you as involved as you want to be.
    I don't need to be around for the whole engine build part, more the final fitting part id be interested in so I understand whats where etc...

But we can discuss nearer the time, based on more reading up I've done etc.. I think there is no other route that would be right, other than the 2GR, so the wait for that will be longer than I expected.

Also bearing in mind costs, the 2gr is going to be a £8.5k plus package (built by me) £2500 less if built by yourself, but if the budget is limited then the 1mz vvti engine or even a 3mz will tick a lot of boxes too, but half the cost.
    Just wanted to add some real world home build input to Paul's comment.

I'm still in the process of finishing my 2GR build. I tried my best to only spend what I needed to, but you just can't cut every corner.

I stopped keeping track when I got past about £6500. I think the suggestion that you could save £2500 building it yourself is a pretty tall order for most home builders.

I'm building my own because I'm just that way. I would feel like I cheated if I paid someone else to do it. Having said that, I would have been driving it a long time ago if I had.

My advice.........

Build it yourself if you want to build it yourself for the joy of it. Do not build it yourself to try and save money, because I doubt you will. I talked with Lee at length about his build, and he wouldn't tell me how much he spent because his wife was within earshot.

If you want a 2GR, built, keys handed to you, and off you go, then cut to the chase; get c.£8500 in a big pile and go see Paul Woods.

Chris.

See, he loves me really.

See, he loves me really.
    Fuck off.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast