12345 ...

thread: what swap is right for me?

Jul 2013
    Dorset

what swap is right for me?

Its time I started making plans for this, although wont happen immediately I need to plan and keep an eye out for an engine and with so much information and I know from experience, tuning an NA engine is almost not worth it (bolting on turbo / superchargers excluded)

So what I ideally want to do;

* Not have to touch anything out of the engine bay, like replace throttle pedal. I have a floor mounted pedal in this car. (if replacing is the only way ill have to look into that) Replacing fuel pump / lines if required is classed as engine bay.

* rear engine loom part of the car is just like a normal MR2

* I don't believe room will be an issue for me with more space than a normal MR2 engine bay

* Power / torque - a very debatable subject as engines vary a lot in performance based on torque and then the NA/Turbo but I have a 290bhp 3S-GTE. Ideally performance at this level or higher in a perfect world.

thoughts / ideas from people be great?

Apr 2012
    Newark, Notts
    The only way to top your current power levels from just an engine is the 2gr-fe which is 350bhp, but if your solely looking at headline bhp figures your missing what a v6 is about which is torque and drive ability a v6 will pick up from around 1500rpm and peak power is somewhere between 2.5-4k.

Considering your build as a minimum id be fitting the 1mzfe vvti engine from the lexus rx300 there rated around 240bhp.

Ideally you need to get out in some v6's and get a feel for what they offer, where are you based? Another option would be to make a trip to woodsport and paul would probably be more thsn happy to show you the options

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    This is the DDR isn't it?

I would only suggest a 2gr for that car, nothing else will sound right and deliver the performance to match the looks..... for me supercar shapes need to growl, of course it's each to their own and while a 3s-gte will produce as much power as you want it to, i just don't think dumps and whistles suit that car.

If you did go 2gr the pedal would need to be changed for a DBW one, but it really is no big issue.

Just my 2p.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Mar 2005
    Also bearing in mind costs, the 2gr is going to be a £8.5k plus package (built by me) £2500 less if built by yourself, but if the budget is limited then the 1mz vvti engine or even a 3mz will tick a lot of boxes too, but half the cost.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2007
    stockport
    A 2gr in that would sound and go like shit off a shovel, I've been looking at that ddr kit and I would fit my engine into that in a heartbeat super car performance for a fraction of the cost, plus sc it later or if there's space how about twin turbos?
    The other thing I would do is fit the 6 speed gearbox and quaife lsd.
    All is expensive but why fit a ford engine in a Ferrari.

Jul 2013
    Dorset
    The only way to top your current power levels from just an engine is the 2gr-fe which is 350bhp, but if your solely looking at headline bhp figures your missing what a v6 is about which is torque and drive ability a v6 will pick up from around 1500rpm and peak power is somewhere between 2.5-4k.

Considering your build as a minimum id be fitting the 1mzfe vvti engine from the lexus rx300 there rated around 240bhp.

Ideally you need to get out in some v6's and get a feel for what they offer, where are you based? Another option would be to make a trip to woodsport and paul would probably be more thsn happy to show you the options
    Not after power hungry BHP numbers, probably explained it wrong really because of the way torque helps with acceleration. But the difference with this car is its a weekend car in the sense of I don't need to worry about having a wide power band or very good pull low down. If I'm going to have a bit of an acceleration I'm going to changing gear into the optimum rev range to accelerate. I guess really rather then BHP i'm looking more towards acceleration times

20 - 60
    30 - 70
    suppose standard 0 - 60, although I always believe that type of thing is half down to reaction and the driver.

This is the DDR isn't it?

I would only suggest a 2gr for that car, nothing else will sound right and deliver the performance to match the looks..... for me supercar shapes need to growl, of course it's each to their own and while a 3s-gte will produce as much power as you want it to, i just don't think dumps and whistles suit that car.

If you did go 2gr the pedal would need to be changed for a DBW one, but it really is no big issue.

Just my 2p.
    Hi Paul, yes it is. I've finished planning the summers work in regards to interior and in to the autumn / winter so need to start on next stage and keeping an eye out for relevant engine / package etc... Cars in the bodyshop at the moment so should be back soon (ish)

I agree with you on the sound, I've tried my best with the exhaust but at the end of the day its a 4 pot :D I think youre right the 2gr is probably the only way to go. As for the pedal, don't suppose you have a pic of the pedal? You have no idea the amount of hassle and fabrication I had fitting a throttle pedal due to the wheel arches. The pedals are offset a lot and were one of the most challenging parts of the build!

As for the cost, everything has a limit, but you know what....If I have to leave it a year longer than planned because of that, then that's what id always rather do.

P.s I don't think you could be any further away from where I live if i tried!

A 2gr in that would sound and go like shit off a shovel, I've been looking at that ddr kit and I would fit my engine into that in a heartbeat super car performance for a fraction of the cost, plus sc it later or if there's space how about twin turbos?
    The other thing I would do is fit the 6 speed gearbox and quaife lsd.
    All is expensive but why fit a ford engine in a Ferrari.
    There's a lot of engine space and no firewalls or bodywork to deal with. You can just take the rear off. I dont think ill need the 6th gear, definitely not that type of car.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Well it depends as Paul has fitted the closer ratio box to his 2gr still has a tall 5th and 6th but 1 to 4 are quick of the mark, I would wait a year and fit the 2gr then think sc or turbos or drive with the turbo motor then think about the 2gr.
    Once you've tried a v6 in a lite car you will think twice about a turbo 4 pot

Mar 2005
    I use Avensis pedals in my 2gr swaps because they are the most compact DBW pedal you can get, they will literally fit in the smallest of spaces, i can also custom make the pedal assembly itself to suit an awkward space.

There are ways to achieve a 2gr by biting it off in chunks rather than needed a huge wedge of cash all in one hit, most of my customers pre order the engines then save for the rest of the stuff etc, so although it is an expensive thing to do it can be way less painful on the wallet.

I just don't see any other engine fitting the bill for that car, we are also carrying out a very similar 2gr install on the Lister Bell Lancia Stratos replica soon, which has a very similar engine bay to yours.

We have a lot of people travel from right across Europe to have a conversion done here, currently got a French Mk2 on the lift having a vvti 1mz fitted, but have done cars from Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain.... although i'm in the North it doesn't seem to bother folk.

Mar 2005

Jul 2013
    Dorset
    Well it depends as Paul has fitted the closer ratio box to his 2gr still has a tall 5th and 6th but 1 to 4 are quick of the mark, I would wait a year and fit the 2gr then think sc or turbos or drive with the turbo motor then think about the 2gr.
    Once you've tried a v6 in a lite car you will think twice about a turbo 4 pot
    The turbo 4 pots in :D. I needed that to pass the road test and be all road legal. That's all done now so ill be enjoying the car over the summer and doing the interior to the finish i want and the look. But after that this was next on my hit list, sort out the noise!

So it may be instead of looking into next winter ('15) I hold off a further year and get the right engine at that time instead.

12345 ...

•