Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 1UZ Powered Corolla Video

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    A few seem to be using the hydraulic clutch release.

Yep, those are cool. What I can't seem to work out, is how to get the input shaft of the Trans's length to exactly hit the pilot bearing on the engine, and then how far the spacing (length) needs to be on the cut, welded or manufactured bell housing adapter. I guess you buy a gearbox, you buy a 1UZ flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate and then offer it up together and measure it? Sounds simple but I don't know why it concerns me so much. It seems like if the input shaft needs to be cut, you're kind of screwed, you need completely dis assemble the trans, have it cut and rebuild it.

Am I thinking right?

The red lines are the bellhousing shape, how big, ie; long and how do I figure that out?
    Also Input shaft length? How can one be sure?

Last edited by Grenade; 30-01-2015 at 01:30.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I had this on the 944 using the Camaro TOB, Mr2 clutch, V6 flywheel.... you need to work out the offset of the pilot bearing from the engine face and then work out where the end of the input shaft is going to sit, then independantly of that you need to space the TOB from the gearbox to allow correct clutch operation, an Mr2 turbo pressure plate requires around 12mm movement from fingers fully out to fully in, most TOBs move around an inch, so you have room to play with.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I've got all this to come yet, but in my simple head you remove the bell housing, or at least some of it, stick the input shaft into the flywheel and measure the gap. That's how much bell housing you need.

Hadn't thought about the release bearing, I guess a lot will depend on what gearbox / clutch setup I end up with.

I've got a turbo fidanza and a turbo pp to start with, if I can use those I will need a clutch disc to fit the input shaft that will sit under the turbo PP.

A lot of this will get made up as I go. I'm not big on planning, just big on doing.

C.

Also Paul I'm guessing you're still using the 944 bell housing / torque tube running gear etc. Not sure I saw a pic of what you're bell housing solution was.

C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12