Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Thread

argon c02 mix is preferable for mig welding stainless, stainless doesn't disipate heat as well as lcs so should require less current to weld, its kinda hard to get good welds with mig on stainless, tig is the way to go

Not many people realise you can actually weld stainless steel with a mig on mild steel set up, in fact stainless steel welds much better with a mig set up for mild steel than it does on mild steel itself as stainless steel is a much cleaner/purer metal, the only downside is that the actual weld is as prone to rust as it would be on mild steel

yup, noticed that myself, there are a few stainless plates on my aw11, primarily the front arb mounts as mine were beyond rotten, i pump all my cavities (ooh er) with wax oil anyway so not worried about rust!

It's probably my complete lack of technique or knowledge on the subject is the issue, the job is going out to be welded properly i just needed to tack it up so i could make it all

I've done several bike headers that were in stainless with my mig. I just wrapped them afterwards. Worked perfect.

Remember, tacks are not a temporary fixing (unless you grind em out) but form part of the final weld! Or so my welding tutor keeps telling us!

Quote Originally Posted by inglismark View Post
    Remember, tacks are not a temporary fixing (unless you grind em out) but form part of the final weld! Or so my welding tutor keeps telling us!
    Technically your welding tutor is correct, tacks do form part of the final weld, when i had my coded welding test they cut through the part of the test piece right where it had been tacked first

was doing open root v but welds today, 6mm plate, 1mm nose and 2mm gap with 2.5mm 6013 on the root at 77A and 3.2 6013 on the cap at 120A just could not get a happy medium on the root, either i was blowing through or not getting full pen, regardless if i was weaving or running a stringer, didnt help that the plates wernt exactly cut square so when I was fitting up I had a good 2mm gap in places and fuck all in others!

Believe it or not a butt weld is one of the harder welds to get a good run on, fillet welds are much easier, the gap you had won't help on a butt weld as i suspect that was where you were blowing through, if you have a nice join with no gaps then turn the amps up for more power as more heat equals more penetration, the only real way of gap filling on a butt weld is with what i call tack welding

Yeah, had no issues at all with a fillet weld but its all booth work to make test pieces and sadly it asks for a 2mm open root, if I'm sneaky I can tighten it up a bit and still get full pen, it was easy enough with mig, but the only experience I've had with mma is at college tho I have to admit, this made me happier than is probably normal

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast