Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Thread

I have some 0.30 but I haven't' used it, I bought it by mistake. It's flux core, my tips are 0.35, so I just use the 0.35 flux core wire. I do have some thin, sheet metal to repair on the outside of the car and I knew that the time to add the gas bottle, was when I start doing the sheet metal on the bodywork.

I'm sure that once I use gas, I'll be just like the rest of you guys- Probably won't weld without it. For now, I have lots of big bulky stuff to do with this cage and plates, so I'll be sure to comment on after I start the bodywork. Cool thread, lots of smart guys on this board.

I like to "dish it out" and talk and type a LOT. But never let it be said that I don't take advice from others and often times, learn the hard way. :)

I have been driving pas this Airgas welding supply store for 25 years. Never stopped in, because it looked like it was for professionals, not backyard hillbillies, which I resemble

I figured I would just go in and talk to the guy behind the counter, get some prices, learn a few things and leave. One of you welders must have told them I was coming in, because he proceeded to explain why I should switch over to gas shielding and how I would love it and how much better it is. Long story short:

I had been meaning to try this gas thing, but I was being cheap. After the initial bottle purchase and the regulator purchase, the wire is one third the cost of what I was spending on flux core. So that's a bonus. I am hoping to try it out tomorrow.
    This kit with non Chinese stuff, $158.50 out the door.

You will not go back once you've been on the gas.

Agreed. It makes life so much easier, and makes you look good too.

This was my support plate for the MR2's torque mounts, basically welded upside down with a budget welder and gas...

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm getting my "smug as fuck told you so" face ready.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Not sure how we would tell from your default setting.

[emoji14]

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    I swear, I almost asked the guy- "Are you a member of Two Brutal? Who put you up to this?"
    haha, I'll try it tomorrow and try to come up with some reason why I'm right... lol

Remember when you were a kid & you thought the world was a happy beautiful place, filled with sunshine & lollipops?

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

I will say that while gasless welding is in fact useful and you can effectively use it on many things. The question is Why would you? Somebody said "Gasless MIG is utterly useless". It has it's place and I used it for ever. But , go ahead, tear me up....:tease:

Yep, I didn't know it was so much better. Less smoke, no spatter, easier to control.
    It acts a little differently when it's too hot and it took a few minutes to get used to.

If you have a choice= USE SHEILDING GAS ON YOUR MIG. I guess I had a shitty teacher.
    Last edited by Grenade; 31-01-2015 at 19:18.

No need to apologise, my grandad was a certified welder and I think his welding skipped my dad and I've ended up with the can I stick two bits of metal together gene.
    I think certain types of welding have there uses like gasless for outdoor or agriculture uses were it doesn't matter about a farm gate or a tractor as long as the welds are tough, and gas mig I find more controllable I've just got to work on getting every thing setup right and not try and weld it all in one go.

The gas pressure and the wire speed are different, the heat range is different and it took a little bit, but because I knew what I was looking for, I knew what to do with the adjustments. I reversed the polarity on the welder like it shows, then I set the gauges at about 15PSI, put the roller wheel over to the small .023 groove and tried it until I got the heat and speed right. It's much cleaner and you can produce a much nicer product. I almost wish I could do the cage all over again. The next one will be fantastic. I hear with the right gas, I can weld ALOOMINUM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast