Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Welding Thread

As long as it's not windy when your welding outside you should be golden

That giant gas bottle is about half empty and I have it all worked out. I figured out the welder and the bottle settings. It's been about 3 months with this welding set up and if I really took my time, I could make some nice looking welds, for a guy that was never really taught the proper ways of the skill.

Last edited by Grenade; 17-06-2016 at 00:42.

got my welder out today to coax it back into life ahead of doing a sill this week, ive done a couple of bits on some spare sheet metal and would welcome some advice on what's there and what i need to change, ill be attempting to butt weld in a repair section

The main thing is welder settings, on your first pic the bits on the right are because the welder power is set too low and too high where the hole in the metal is, just keep playing with the settings until you find that happy medium, the key is to set it as hot as the metal will take but not too hot that it melts through
    Hope this makes sense

if you have to but weld thin steel together (an overlap using a joggling tool is preferable) then even the correct power setting to get the correct penetration will often still blow holes due to welding on the edge, what can save blowing holes is to actually turn the welder up just a touch and run second long beads (basically only better than a tack) but due to the higher current the penetration will be perfect without blowing holes, this also helps minimize heat input and reduce distortion!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112