Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential V8 Vehicle Suggestions

Every time i read this thread i can't help but think reality is going to bite somewhere. You got rid of your mg project as it was too much so that probably rules out anything pre mid 80's as they will likely need too much repair work/strengthening and upgrading to handle the power and you admit welding isn't your forte.

Anything fairly modern is either going to be a mare to wire up and make motable if it uses a canbus system And in most cases will be a big outlay to potentially be worthless at the end.

That leaves mid 80-90s rwd stuff and sadly most of it's been done. An rx7 or is200/altezza conversion would have retail value but both involve reasonable outlay as they need a manual supra box, in the worst case they'd both break to recover the funding if they didn't get finished. Most other rwd options either have factory v8's or just aren't worth the outlay unless your happy to write off 3-4k at the end.

My votes probably the is200 unless you insist on something different in which case the rx8 as it's binnable amounts of cash if it can't be done.

Another idea would be pull some favours with john hurst and get a dino kit off him presumably you could then chop the boot away for more room but then your back to a full scale project and big outlay.

Hope you don't take this as a rant or pissing on your parade bigman i just want to see you take on something that you can finish and enjoy not something that drags ends up stuffed away when something else comes up. These things are a hobby to enjoy and it's not when they become a chore or money pit just in the way
    Last edited by thomp1983; 28-01-2015 at 04:16.

We have a saying over here, (and I'm guilty of constantly doing the opposite) "You never count the cost of a hobby". I piss and moan about what shit costs, but Thomp, you're right. Resale value of an insane build? Yeah, it's unlikely that it will pay itself back.

Chris W is plenty smart enough, he'll come up with something, get it running, have a ton of laughs and lose very little cash, if any. The whole MOT thing is a bitch because I know very little about it. I wondered about it today with regards to this build actually. You should all move to Ohio where you can do whatever the hell you want. Just saying...

This V8 build? I'll bet we all get hours of enjoyment out of it, regardless of how it turns out. That- in and of itself, has mass value. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out either way.

The mot used to be fine it was more or less if it looked right it was right but the last couple of years stupid stuff has been added. Abs, traction control all that shit the lights have to come on and go off correctly, cars never used to have that stuff and masses didn't die. The car must have a working steering lock or another immobiliser fitted what does it matter if it's easy to steal? You can have the cheapest nastiest tyres fitted that barely work but aslong as they have the right depth carry on sir. it's a joke. Proper safety issues aren't tested yet having a satnav on the screen is a fail
    Last edited by thomp1983; 28-01-2015 at 06:41.

Thanks for the sensible reality check Chris, and of course you're spot on. Its easy to dream big, then lose the wind from your sails. The MGB I bought as a kit practically. A rolling shell with a box full of bits. I ended up chasing my tail; it needed work on all fronts, and I was chasing my tail so much that one day the missus said 'you're not enjoying it, sell it and by something else!". To be honest it hadn't crossed my mind. I sold off all the mgb stuff and bought another car. Its probably my the only car I've ever truly abandoned like that.

You will of course notice that since then I've got into MR2's. Pat and I have just got stuck into our 3rd 1mz swap, which is probably V6 swap number 12 or 13, I've lost count. But I've knocked the fucker out of the ball park every time, and JapScrap still stands as a clear illustration of what two fucking monkeys in a shed can achieve given sufficient determination and Carte Noir.

The 1uz in my garage is going in something. It will be hugely inappropriate, impractical, and probably dangerous, it will most surely make Paul Woods shudder, and several people shake their heads in disapproval.

But I have an idea, its been clawing in my head a while, and I invite you all to stay tuned and share this journey with me.

My name is Chris Wood, and I'm fucking insane.

:)

Chris.
    Last edited by cdwood2010; 28-01-2015 at 06:54.

Fuck me check out the space you had in the cave back then. Thought pat was 2gr'ing?

Yeah, was thinking that too.

And 2gr next maybe. ;)

Like me to many projects not enough time to enjoy them, I think it's time you get your 2gr finished enjoy it for a few months then get back to the v8 it's not going anywhere.

My garage used to be almost empty, with one car and a few bits kicking around........

I didn't know there was an MGB, that must have been back before I crawled my way over to this site. I also wasn't aware you had the MK1. It's cool to see where those things eventually take people.