Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: None runner

None runner

Hi
    I bought my 1989 MR2 this week. I bought it as a non runner. Its still a non runner.
    Engine turns over, there,s a spark, had an auto electrician out and he has checked injector power and pulse ok, new plugs fitted, dizzy cap and rotor.
    He told me to check the timing in case it had jumped a cog but this is ok.
    Tried with easy start and all it does it spit it back out of the inlet.
    Not sure what to try next.
    Any help would be great
    Thanks
    Mark

Ok so need some info, is it getting fuel to the cylinders?

Whip of the clip to the injector rail and check the pipe.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Have you checked your earths on the igniter?
    If ignition is ok and your getting a spark at the spark plugs then smell the spark plugs do they smell of fuel if they do then it's mechanical if they don't then it's fuel related.

check all fuses on the car for continuity, checked the 15A EFI relay in the engine bay near the fuel flap fuse box they get old and loose contact sometimes, pull it out and clean up the contacts.
    your fuel pump connects under the centre console via a white plastic plug, theres two of them iirc. so pick the right one, the wires dissapear down into the fuel tank. check its getting constant 12v @ when the key is turned /idle pos, listen for the whirr.
    Last edited by adamh; 28-11-2014 at 14:29.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Mk1 or mr2? If it's not even trying to start with easy start and you can definitely see a spark then I'd be doing a compression test. It's unlikely the timing is far enough out it won't even attempt to start with easy start unless someone's had the engine apart and made a hash of it

Done a compression test. 1 and 2 are 155. 3 and 4 are 165
    Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    Mk1 or mr2? If it's not even trying to start with easy start and you can definitely see a spark then I'd be doing a compression test. It's unlikely the timing is far enough out it won't even attempt to start with easy start unless someone's had the engine apart and made a hash of it

Compressions fine then, can you confirm there's spark at all 4 plugs?

Hello sir. No relation i presume? :)

Check the cam belt timing marks add up. Check the static ignition timing. Make sure the dizzy is pointed in the right direction. (Cyl no. 1 etc)

Things shouldn't get spat out of the inlet unless the engine got put together upside down (we've seen that before!). Is it possible its been in bits recently? People sell things when they get stuck. Look for tell tale marks and oily fingerprints.

If you've got fuel and you've got sparkys then its possible they're just not actually in the right place at the right time.

Generally an inspecting mechanic would assume an engine was assembled correctly.

Chris.

Also buy some Doombar, its magical properties will fix most things.

:)

yes all 4 are sparking.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast