Thread: Mk1 rear caliper piston

Mk1 rear caliper piston

I am currently refurbing the brakes and i have got new seal and rubbers and new pistons, now the pistons i have been sent are to have the internal, i.e. the threaded shaft, swapped over, has anyone ever done this and if so, how????

Thanks

Simon

This will help CLICKY :icon_wink:
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Sadly not, that guide reuses the same piston, cheers anyway though.
    I got in contact with Big red who sold the piston to me and they said they would change the internals over free of charge, so not as quick as i'd like it but a very good service none the less.

Not quite sure what you mean, when you screw the old piston out it leaves the rod behind, then change the seal and screw the new piston in ?
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

I have some, changed over to mk2's on mine. I'll dig them out... FOC ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean, when you screw the old piston out it leaves the rod behind, then change the seal and screw the new piston in ?
    Hi Jimi, the new piston doesn't have the threaded internal, so it's just a hollow piston, i would need to take the internals out the piston, into the new piston, then screw it onto the rod as my piston is gubbed.

Don't worry about it tommy, will send them down the pistons and they'll do it. Cheers anyway though man.

You remove the internals by removing a circlip.
    You can use normal circlip pliers, but motorbike fork circlip pliers are the way forward - they are long and angled 90 degrees.

You remove the internals by removing a circlip.
    You can use normal circlip pliers, but motorbike fork circlip pliers are the way forward - they are long and angled 90 degrees.