Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of mk1.6 vs mk1.5?

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Yes NA SW20 axles will fit your MK1 hubs without any fabrication or mods, completely plug and play.

I've actually gone a step further on my builds and used a SW20 left axle on the left side, and a Celica St202 supported shaft on the right with another left SW20 axle attached to that, made a simple axle carrier bracket on the V6 and that gave me an equal length shaft setup.

Note you cannot use a complete St202 right axle as it is too long.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Nice! This is sounding more and more like something I can easily accomplish.
    What was your reasoning using the supported st205 axle? Were you having problems otherwise with engine movement?

St202 axle, let's not get confused. The St205 is completely different and works via a transfer box.

No, no problems at all, it's just better having torque applied via equal length shafts, there is nothing wrong with using the S54 long and short axle, in fact all my customers V6 Mk1 swaps using the S54 get done that way, but when running big power i prefer an equal length shaft setup, there is way less torque steer on the rear end like that, but for a stock 1mz/3vz it will be fine.

If you are going to run a 2gr through an S54 don't be surprised if it does break one day, it's an absurd amount of torque to put through one, i ran mine ok for a full summer and i have a customers 2gr running one so far without issue (and at his own request we used that box)

Pays your money and takes a chance with S54/2gr but the payoff is way less weight that you would run normally.

I am running an EB60 6 speed (Toyota Scion TC) on the current 2gr Mk1, awesome gearbox but not a straight fitment.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

awesome, Thanks Paul. i will be slowly gathering up everything i need for the swap and can hopefully find a new house with a decent size garage here soon as well.

so pretty much the only thing that needs fab for the mk1.6 is the engine mounts and a little hammering on the rear firewall and most likely cutting a removable access panel in the trunk to service spark plugs. the only thing i have left to really figure out is throttle cable and shift linkage's but i can do that when the time comes i suppose.

anyone looking for a good running complete 4agze engine and trans swap in northern cali?

Stick it on Craiglist, must be a few Levin guys would be interested!

C.

I can supply you with a Jig to take the pain out of mounting your engine, it's not cheap, but can be resold afterwards to someone else wanting to do the same swap.

i think ill be okay dry hanging for the most part, and like i said, this is a budget build so anything i can do to cut cost will be done. BUT im glad there is one out there for the worse case scenario, unless there is anyway to get the measurements of the jig to get a good idea of placement so i can at the least double check before welding the mounts in. and you guys all just tack weld the mounts right? I have no welding experience so i may leave that to one of the shop guys to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Stick it on Craiglist, must be a few Levin guys would be interested!

C.
    there is no one in my area besides one guy who has a gze ae86. For some reason up here on the Northcoast, there really isn't anyone up here in the 4a/mr2/ae86 market, Ive been on craigslist everyday for the past 3 years and have yet to see anything close to related in my area. I could probaly take the swap down south to the city and get something for it. but maybe ill just hold onto it and find an old starlet or something to put it in and sell that for a decent chunk of change

Good plan. Stick it under the bench for the next project.

:)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast