thread: pros and cons of mk1.6 vs mk1.5?

Nov 2014
    eureka, ca
    I will be planning to replace all the gaskets and use a mhg from the later years and replace most of the accessories. I was looking into stronger rods and pistons for the 1mz Incase I wanted to boost it later on but couldnt find much. My friend said he could have them custom made but that sounds spendy.

Nov 2014
    eureka, ca
    The n/a gearbox will handle the torque okay? Even if its going to be beat on a little bit.. well alot.
    Suspension is first on my list, saving for coilovers now. Anyone ever used megan? wasnt planning on it but curious.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    There's been a lot of talk on here about gearboxes, I've fitted n/a and turbo boxes. Turbo box is heavier, and more expensive, but for me the ratios are wrong for a V6. As Tiggs says, the power comes from a different place, you drive a turbo centred around the boost, but the V6 has a more even spread of power.

I've driven a few combos, and the mk2 with a 1mz and an S54 box actually feels like a standard mk2, balance wise. Until you let it rip of course. Its the car Toyota should have built. The 3vz is heavier, not much and hardly a massive issue but you can feel it. Generally we fit the S54 box to 3vzs with no issues.

I think its a better idea in the mk1, and I have yet to hear of anyone who chose an S54 and it didn't turn out OK. Even if it didn't, they're cheap and you can get one swapped out in 2 hours. If you were planning a track car, then its a different matter, but for a tasty pocket street racer, save your cheddar for the other mods.

:)

Chris.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Didn't Paul woods fit an na s54 to the 2gr and it was fine before he went six speed gearbox?

Nov 2014
    eureka, ca
    oh okay, i like it. yes the s54 gearbox is much easier to find and is dirt cheap so that is an awesome thing to know. i was reading somewhere else i think on mr2oc and everyone was leaning the other way.

so if i have the s/c mk1 already what inner axles do i use for the s54, the n/a sw20? ill go search the threads for the milionth time and get together a more solid list of whats needed i know the info is plentifull here. unless somebody wanted to be nice and just list some of things on this thread real quick. and il will be doing the 1mzfe so idk if theres any little things that are different compared to the 3vz. i liked the 3vz due to stronger internals but i just cant find them here in california.

May 2005
    Caerleon, South Wales
    I will be planning to replace all the gaskets and use a mhg from the later years and replace most of the accessories. I was looking into stronger rods and pistons for the 1mz Incase I wanted to boost it later on but couldnt find much. My friend said he could have them custom made but that sounds spendy.
    I've seen a vid of a 3.1 1mz-fe engine using a set of arias pistons and modified eagle 22R rods, so it's doable might just take some lateral thinking.
    Of course if you do that then you're only a set of injectors, an ECU, some fuel system tweaks and the turbo of your choice away from making as much power as you want (or rather as much as your drivetrain can take)
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Nov 2014
    eureka, ca
    I've seen a vid of a 3.1 1mz-fe engine using a set of arias pistons and modified eagle 22R rods, so it's doable might just take some lateral thinking.
    Of course if you do that then you're only a set of injectors, an ECU, some fuel system tweaks and the turbo of your choice away from making as much power as you want (or rather as much as your drivetrain can take)
    Yeah exactly, ive read about the modified 22r rods pretty interesting may. My buddy at the shop is really trying to convince me to go megasquirt even with the stock swap so thats also something im looking into doing early on. But first thing is going to be aquiring the parts and getting the suspension settled, currently on blown konis I believe.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Didn't Paul woods fit an na s54 to the 2gr and it was fine before he went six speed gearbox?
    I actually have a current customer driving around in a MK2 2gr on a S54 without issue.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Nov 2014
    eureka, ca
    okay, so if i use the s54 trans would the n/a sw20 axles fit my sc mk1 hubs with no fab or would i still have to make hybrid axles to fit the splines?

•