Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: None runner

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    Mk1 or mr2? If it's not even trying to start with easy start and you can definitely see a spark then I'd be doing a compression test. It's unlikely the timing is far enough out it won't even attempt to start with easy start unless someone's had the engine apart and made a hash of it
    Sorry its a MK1

Hi
    Ive metered the feed to the pump and there is 12vdc on cranking only.
    Not sure if this is correct.
    Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Ok so need some info, is it getting fuel to the cylinders?

Whip of the clip to the injector rail and check the pipe.
    hi
    I have checked and there is fuel pressure at the rail

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Ok so need some info, is it getting fuel to the cylinders?

Whip of the clip to the injector rail and check the pipe.
    Hi
    Ive checked at there is fuel pressure at the rails

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Have you checked your earths on the igniter?
    If ignition is ok and your getting a spark at the spark plugs then smell the spark plugs do they smell of fuel if they do then it's mechanical if they don't then it's fuel related.
    yes they oil up after Ive been turning it over for a while

Oooh doesn't sound good oil in the bores.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Hello sir. No relation i presume? :)

Check the cam belt timing marks add up. Check the static ignition timing. Make sure the dizzy is pointed in the right direction. (Cyl no. 1 etc)

Things shouldn't get spat out of the inlet unless the engine got put together upside down (we've seen that before!). Is it possible its been in bits recently? People sell things when they get stuck. Look for tell tale marks and oily fingerprints.

If you've got fuel and you've got sparkys then its possible they're just not actually in the right place at the right time.

Generally an inspecting mechanic would assume an engine was assembled correctly.

Chris.
    Hi Chris
    Ive lined the 3rd knick on the crankshaft pulley with the prong on the bottom casing. The camshaft pulleys have white marks on the cogs that line up with the lines on the back plate. The rotor is pointing to No1 and Piston 1 is at the top.
    Your right it looks like things are happening but not at the right time or in the correct order.
    How would I tell if the engine has been put together incorrectly. The engine bay is very clean and there is gasket seal on the inlet manifold.
    The guy I bought it from said he had it running last spring and had trouble after swapping the dizzy cap. I have tried the old one with the rotor but still the same.
    Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Oooh doesn't sound good oil in the bores.
    Sorry mean plugs are wet with petrol

Ah. Clues.

Check the firing order - plug leads going to the right cylinders.

C.

What he said ^
    And it's funny as my avens is had a misfire on cylinder 2 which turned out to be a leaky O ring seal from the cam cover, so my plugs were well and truly oiled up

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast