Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: My Maserati Does 185? Or does it?

Mid 80s italian. Lovely. Beware the rust and the electrics.
    These are ever so pretty.

Christ on a boogie board, that looks fun.

How stripped out are you going?

Oh wait, you're under a Maserati, feel free to reply later. :P

C.

OK- 80's Italian cars are put together like drunk children invented them. Fortunately, everything came apart easily. Stupid design.

1. The car has a bit of floor rust through, not bad- no big deal.
    2. A small amount of sill repair needed, hardly nothing to complain about.
    3. This car is solid. It's door bottoms are shit, but I can re-skin those.

4. I am going totally stripped out. Nothing Maserati except the steering rack and the front & rear suspension.
    5. Roll cage. Used racing seats & harnesses.
    6. Aluminum dash, possibly LS400 instrument cluster- don't know yet.
    7. Bare minimum wires needed to make it run, have lights & heat.

None of this wiring would work anyway. I'm doing this with the breaker's yards and a tight budget. It will look respectable when completed. Hillbilly, but respectable.

THE FRONT SUMP IS GOING TO WORK!!! I'm very glad I didn't buy a rear sump.

This feels right. It just does. Beginning another winter, with a new project. I'm going back out to start tearing into that horrible interior.

Great progress surely that engine has to be worth some project funds on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Great progress surely that engine has to be worth some project funds on ebay?
    Yes. Based off of the condition of all the fluids, the bolt threads- the rust was surface. Everything I take apart looks really clean. This car was being left to rot. Another year or two and it would be too far gone to save. I have a former business partner that is going to buy everything. Engine, transmission, interior parts, aircon stuff, everything I don't want. I'm hoping to get a nice chunk of what I spent, back.

Yeah, apparently only 5000 Biturbos made it into the USA, so parts are probably scarce.

How does the engine and box compare in size?

C.

The damn V8 is smaller and lighter. It looks like it will almost drop right on the engine cradle with no mods! (of course, it's going to need a little modifying) The lump I took out- is INSANELY heavy. I think it's the internals, but it's a tank. I'm going to make some headers out of the ebay headers that are available for the 2UZ. The temperature dropped pretty quick out there, I'm done for today. Tomorrow it will be the interior and maybe the bumpers. I am thinking of building one of these:

Out of two of these:

Already been done at my mates garage he puts a two adjustable lengths of steel for the bottom an widens the legs plus uprated the wheels.
    Then you can build an frame to fit to the bumper mounts.

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast