Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Maserati Does 185? Or does it?

My Maserati Does 185? Or does it?

Um- No. My Maserati doesn't do anything at the moment except sit and smell funny. It doesn't even start.

Here's what happened:
    10 days ago, I saw this car for sale within an hours drive of here. The guy wanted too way much money for it.

Here's why I wanted it in the first place:

Front Engine.
    Rear Wheel Drive.
    The entire car weight is 2590 pounds.
    Four wheel disc brakes.
    four wheel independent suspension.

It is a complete, intact car, good glass, solid (worth repairing) shell. These cars are not what I would consider "cool" and were never considered powerful or reliable, or very valuable, or well respected or drove particularly well.
    BUT- if you factor in this car is automatic and I have a 1UZFE engine and automatic transmission, along with the fact that I skillfully worked this guy over for ten days of back and forth emails- I bought it cheap. It's a mess.

My plates are on it so I could have it towed free.. long story.

I am wearing a Lovely Northampton Saints Rugby shirt, sent by my good buddy Chris.
    My son is wearing his similar shirt at school today, no doubt fielding many questions from the ladies.

The car has not been on the road since 1999 and has claimed to have only done 36,000 miles.

I'm not too sure I believe that, but this car is a lot more solid than the Triumph TR7 that I had previously chosen for this engine.

I am going to strip this car down almost 100%. I will repair the rust areas, because there are some guys on this board that would slap me in the face for crying about how little of it there actually is on this one. I am going to see what the value of the parts is, after stripping it out. It will be sort of a road legal, fire breathing dragon rally car. Cheaply built of course, so I'm not still crying next year, like I do every winter when it's time to sell.

Many beer drinking, grinder dust filled forum posts shall be coming your way this winter.

Looking good.

Italian supercar win. Sort of.

:)

Paul that's hideous, but I do like the drop down tool roll

Yes, I agree. Not particularly good looking I know. I wanted different. These are different. Rare, actually. (because they were all junks) but different to be sure.

It fits all the criteria. RWD= yes. Disc brakes= yes. Light enough= yes. I was running out of options and I've been searching for months. I was going to take a Ford Focus and make a FWD car, RWD. The TR7's had V8's and were really rusted. American cars with RWD are all battleships, heavy and overpriced, still junks.

The Maserati Biturbo sort of reminds me of a 1981 BMW 318i

I am going to do a stripped out version of a rally car- it'll be different and it will be powered by this:

Do a search for these stupid looking Biturbos. If you look close enough you can find a few that are not too bad. Besides, this is never going to pay me back, so there is no turning back now.

that is still a pretty motor...and the massa can have some caradboard/duraseal body kit:)

actually thought about duraseal instead of paint on some beater, and take it to a car show as most people were getting out of hand...ke rollers with 15k single tone paint jobs.....
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

I like it, its got some awesome angles on it, looks a lot like a Lagonda.

I'm a massive 80's guy, and I think with a bit of work it will make a good base for that motor.

Nobody else will have one, that's for sure.

C.

Nicr choice will be uber reliable with toyota running gear and with the right wheels and paintjob the masserati will look awesomeness

Yes, the long term visions point to "It'll be a bit sloppy, but faster than hell". The Lagonda- I always wondered what that was. Aston Lagonda. The previous owner and I were talking about how this was similar to those. I saw one in the back ground shot of a Wheeler dealer episode.

The guy I got this from- He has literally 20+ Simca cars stacked inside of his building. It was like an episode of American Pickers going into his building. Crazy stuff. He had one MG and so many weird little cars, all in various states of disrepair. He's getting old and his kids don't want any of it. Shame really. Oh- he also had a three legged dog.

Fun afternoon!

Sounds like a fun bloke. Did he approve of the V8 going in it?

C.

Oh god a biturbo shit box rusted faster than it can rain shit brakes blow up engines Italian electrics and that was in the good ones.
    Even top gear dropped a skip on one they were awefull when new.

I say carry on that man rescue it and it will be the best one ever built and reliable.

Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast