Thread: Boot Release Fubarred - advice needed.

Boot Release Fubarred - advice needed.

Hi guys, I've just had the TRD Spoiler fitted on my widebody by Pat (Headboard) which includes a full GRP boot lid (as this removes the need for an extension piece). The boot is extremely light compared to stock.

Whilst opening it this week, I forgot that the spoiler had been fitted and it slammed down much harder than I expected. The boot panel is fine and so is the catch but the release inside the cabin will only open it if I wedge the lever up as far as it will go.

Any ideas on what I have bent/knocked out of place/broken? It's not the cable as the boot opens but it could have stretched it I assume.

Any assistance welcomed :thumbsup:

John.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Chimp.

You've probably just knocked the latch off point. 10mm socket, adjust it and raise it up. Make sure the bolts are tight and close the boot again. Test it, but if the boot doesn't rattle, i would call it a win.

If that doesn't work, check that the cable end in the boot hasn't shifted, although i'm pretty sure its a fixed end.

And not slam it again.

c.

Have you slammed the locking mechanism downwards, have a look at the bolts to see if it's moved at all and if it has unscrew the bolts put it back in position then retry the lid

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Chimp.

....not slam it again.
    The boot lid now stays open when raised fully as the weight of the spoiler counterbalances it but unfortunately it blew shut and came clattering down. IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

Thanks guys I did suspect that this should be the first thing worth looking at, I'll take a look at it whilst it's light tomorrow afternoon.

And then sit and eat some bananas.

― Jay Leno

You knob . Yes problem is catch pushed it down as Chris says 10mm spanner adjust if u have knacked catch I got a spare to can have

You're all heart Pat.

― Jay Leno

On the car that I have, because there is no key latch on the back of the car- (I covered it up with that blank Rev 3 looking panel) When I had it open during final assembly, I decided that I should give the boot latch more than one way to open, should the cable that is located inside the car, ever break or malfunction. With no boot key hole to open it from outside the car- someone would have been screwed if it broke. So what I did was- I added a bicycle cable and a small cable stop, connected to the latch itself, and ran it under the car to a top secret location. It's bolted to a small washer that if you lay under the car and pull the washer/cable- the trunk pops open.

It's my top secret trunk opener, so don't tell everyone or they could steal the beer out the boot. Never hurts to have a backup way to get into that trunk space.

Actually Paul it did cross my mind at first, how the hell I'd open the boot if the cabled was broken. I think you're idea is a good solution.

You deserve a drink.....go get a beer.

― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Actually Paul it did cross my mind at first, how the hell I'd open the boot if the cabled was broken. I think you're idea is a good solution.

You deserve a drink.....go get a beer.
    Why thank you sir! It's just about 7 PM and I think I shall go and get beer #1!

*Disclaimer: any ideas or comments posted by me after this time stamp are to be ignored and disregarded

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    You're all heart Pat.
    yea i know