Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project OutRun

At least now it has a longer future than if it had been left to rot out, I know feel a tad guilty about giving up on my silver car thinking the bodyrot was not as worse as yours and you seem to have salvaged what I would have thought was a goner .
    Kudos points to saving it like you say it's a kylie car every ten years or so it comes back again.

Loads of TB points for recovering this, as Mike said it did look like a goner but yet another onme saved.

Superb work

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Take back those back pats, lads!

Well...this thing is now dead.

Up until last week, we were still plugging away at it, but it just kept getting worse.

The reason I stopped updating the thread is cos the thing was starting to look like a family quilt.
    This was not the car I was wanting to plough a few grand into.

The middle sills were non-existent, same goes for the entire lower rear quarter. Plus the damn thing was full of filler.

I only discovered this at the start of the week. It had had arch and sill return repairs in the past, tack welded on over the original rotten steel and then covered with a thick layer of bodge. More wag than a weekend at Crufts.

Add in knackered inner sills and floor pans worse than they first looked, along with the rear valance, plus the conversion wasn't as good as I assumed/hoped for, that meant the thing was only fit for frag.

It's like it was getting worse, every day.

So I picked it clean and sent it on it's way on Wednesday.

I have pics of the horror show and the shell leaving, but it seems the bandwidth is maxed out on my Photobucket, atm.

I am going to be breaking it and buying a nice rev 3 turbo.

This car has put me off 80s stuff for a good while and I only owned it for about 5 weeks!

I feel your pain having gone through this early in the year, big big shame. But as I found there comes a point when you have to say enough is enough.

Alan

Shit I thought u were in it for the long term with the work you put in, I know that it must have been a hard decision to quit when you've come so far but when you're beat its better to be graceful in defeat than going down with the sinking ship!

That's a shitter the old motto rusty arches and buy the best you can find or take some one who's been stung in the past with one they generally know we're and what to look out for.
    Good luck with your search for a mk2 turbo check sills and engine crossmember and show us your new purchase when you buy it.

After seeing the construction of these then I cant imagine many that wouldn't fall apart with a knotwheel. Most of this car looked ok until you delved in.
    I've seen some bodges in the past and I thought the soldered on patches in the frunk were bad enough but you could almost put that down to someone just being crap at cars. The rear arches where they'd been spot welded on here and there and bodged over to a really good finish but trapping all that moisture over the years was the work of a con artist who knew what they were doing.
    And the wiring and plumbing were a joke too. Looked like some one had raided a scrapyard for all the heater hoses they could find and then joined them together like a helterskelter.

Damn! I thought for sure you had that thing solved! You guys are inspirational in the fact that you get stuck in and work hard and for that, you get a gold star.
    Here's to you and the work you put in and hopefully you find something that takes less effort!

That does not sound good it wasn't that bad I don't think when Greg had it.
    I would take as much off as poss for the next one or re sell all the bits off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234