Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project OutRun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project OutRun

Hello, all.

After a few years of debate (didn't want yet another rusty project) I finally took the plunge and acquired an AW11.

No doubt some of you will recognise it. I bought it from Steve Horrocks and it was previously in the hands of Lee H and is #19 Woodsport conversion.

It had basically stood, unused for a year and I insured it, booked a spurious MOT and after some initial flat battery delays, drove the car the 140 miles or so home, without issue.

I will keep this brief and copy most of the thread over from another forum, until I am caught up.

The car is currently running itro of 225 bhp with a Rev 1 engine, but I will be converting it to Rev 3 parts, new exhaust and charge cooler/pump etc as well as a full respray in Ferrari Rosso Corsa, new wheels and interior and whatever else I come across.

Say hello to project OutRun.

An awesome game, I am sure we can all agree. I used to love hoying in 20p pieces in the arcade at the front of Dickens DIY in Washington.

So now that I have a car that looks just* like the Testarossa, the plan is coming together (I hope the blonde seat cover isn't far behind).

I had initially planned to source a good mk1 t-bar and convert it myself, but, IMO this is a fairly involved conversion and after I put some feelers out, Lee H told me about this one and it seemed to fit the bill.
    Shame about the shit Mica blue paint it is festooned with!

It already has the CT20 turbo and metal head gasket from a Rev 3, Celical ST185 GT4 charge cooler and MASSIVE pump, but I plan to run around 300 bhp, so will be upgrading.

For now though, it's bodywork time. Luckily, I am not doing it...

The car is insured, but not taxed or MOT'd. So I booked another cheeky test that I had no intention of attending and took a spin up the body shop, to get a quote - before I started to pull the car apart, as I may have decided against it - for the welding repairs it needs and a full colour change.

I was quoted a price I am happy with, so I have started to strip the car down.

I prefer this is many ways, yes it is a lot more work, but it ensures no bodges (unless done by me!) and gives me a chance to apply cavity wax and underseal etc.

Skirts off and the bad arch/lower rear quarter attacked with tools

This was the only fastener that gave me any issues.

Crusty door switch area. I already knew about this.

Just managed to turn a blister into a small hole on this side.

There's more rust on the jack, than the car, in this pic.

Spare parts.

It came with a couple of nicely made repair panels.

Luckily, the company also make rear arch sections and sills. I shall be ordering enough panels to renew both rear arches, lower rear quarters - both side of arch and the sills. The current sills aren't too bad, neither is the N/S/R arch, but I would rather catch it and cut it out at this stage.

I tried to remove the rear bumper and was swiftly defeated.

I'm gonna borrow nails bolt grips. Hopefully they will stop the grinder coming out.

Front valance after splitter removal;

O/S is going to need plating

N/S is better news.

Ignore the wings, they will be replaced.

There is a lot of bracketery to be remade and parts to replace etc.

Sail panel trims with broken fastenings.

These things.

Splitter hardware.

I am happy with the state of it, so far. It is as I had hoped/assumed, from the brief look before I bought it.

KILLA TUNEZ

I also started stripping the interior out, trims, plastics, weather strips etc.

It's always a good sign when your car comes with a complimentary bottle of this;

BECAUSE RACECAR - This thing has actually been a track car in a past life and some of the 'that'll do' attitude is evident in the fitment of certain things.
    It won't be rebuilt in the same way.

Right, time to make a shopping list. :-)

Just realised I don't have an engine shot, either.
    It is a turbo. Honest, mister!

Wow, flying start. Awesome.

The worst thing you can do to a car is leave it standing, does them no good.

All the best with the project, keep those pics coming.

:)

Chris.

I have been stripping more parts from this, since the last update. Shock horror, eh?
    Hard to tell, but I have put hours in, stripping out the interior and frunk, removing pissy rubber seals, windows, bits of trim etc.

Plus, I CBA with hods of pix. Getting there, though.

Missed this live wire dangling about, when driving the car home.

Original* battery tray, evicted.

Shite, wanker steering wheel and equivalent boss. The boss is stuck fast atm and as jikovron suggests, a pusher of some description will have to be made. Nice to see that the one rounded allen bolt wasn't actually doing anything, though.

Half-arsed pipework. For the [strikeout]win[/strikeout] bin. Same for the ridiculous GT4 pump and RX7 rad.
    I will keep the Cinquecento rad, for charge cooler purposes - although I may renew it.

The log book isn't back yet, but I reckon these lads names have been on it, at some stage.

Finally, a job my 1/4" drive bolt grips can manage. Yes, MR2 mirrors are that awkward to remove.

More holes. At least these ones haven't been caused by the Big C. They are about as welcome, though.

Might need that Kurust.

I never* abuse my tools and yet, even with the right stuff, used in the right way, these bolts still wouldn't undo.

The hammer must be out of shot.

The plan for the rear bumper reinforcer is to sling the middle section and reattach it to the car with just the main anchorage points - after a tickle with the welder.

IN RUST WE TRUST (Any spotty little herbert that has that stuck to their car, has never experienced the stuff) :-)

Time to update this.

A few parcels have arrived.

A pair of NOS Toyota front wings and another, equally useful part. Which also came with a mystery envelope.
    It contained this;

A door switch. Not quite the part I wanted, but one that is on my wanted list, anyway.

And these;

A pair of sills, rear arches, sill return and lower rear quarter repair panels. The same, superb quality handmade panels as the other sill return and lower rear quarter section that came with the car.

Now here is the worst bit of the car;

Some of this was already apparent to me, but once I removed the wings/bumper/headlights and rads etc it started to look a bit more knackered than the few dodgy patches initially suggested. These issues, along with the hatchet job on the front bulkhead, for the downforce bonnet mod, meant it had to go.
    After consulting with my mate filthyjohn, he agreed to work his magic for me and we set to work.

Thankfully, only the front end seems to be shagged out.

Observe;

[img]http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae221/l14mnp/Mobile%20Uploads/20140929_143349_zps4fulax14.jpg[\img]

Thankfully, John is capable of repairing the legs (cos it is way out of my league) and most of that cancerous, crumbling shit originates forward from where we cut. The parts of the legs that don't, have been cut out and will be replaced.

The bodge artist who patched up the front end, should just stay away from cars.
    Shit, gasless repairs - on top of the rotten steel - which could be pulled off by hand.

EG;

And the removed section in all of it's glory*;

Luckily, one MR2 breaker I spoke to had a clean, low mileage US import and had agreed to chop the front end off for me. Mystery parcel explained.

By fitting this whole section, it removes the dangerous, rotten parts, replaces the headlight panels (one of mine was a bit iffy) and reinstates the bulkhead behind the radiator.
    John is a very good welder and will glue this on nice and strongly, besides, it only really holds the lights, bumper and rads.

Measurements and angles were recorded and sik skillz were pressed into action to enable straight cuts.

Initial, rough cuts;

The car is currently about 4' shorter than when I got it, a fortnight ago.

Getting there...

It's a good job that the man is like a surgeon, with a 1mm cutting disc;

One of the ways we have chosen to ensure it goes back on squarely, is to bolt it up to the tie rod brackets.
    Which is how it is held on, here;

I am currently awaiting a delivery of Bilthamber Etchweld and seam sealer, then I will clean up the mating surfaces and John can wield his metal glue magic and fuse the two together.

Naylor also came over last night and showed me how to persuade the remaining T-bar seals out and we also sussed out the seemingly impossible to remove (lol) mirrors and stripped a few other bits.

Much appreciation to all, as ever.

Yesterday I bought some 50lb fishing line, to remove the recent windscreen.

Bastard.

Oh well, it's no massive loss, as it was already a bit pitted from someone grinding near it.
    Out with the MIG wire, scraper, hammer and feet. Plus the hoover;

I doubt I would have been able to access all of the bonding, anyway.

With the screen out, I could finally see the condition of the surround.
    I am happy to report that aside from a couple of small holes at the top, due to water ingress and the rain gutter on one side, it I is in decent condition.

A little surface rust starting in this seam.

After a blitz with the knot wheel;

Unfortunately, without replacing the whole section, this area will never be totally rust free, so I will just have to treat and protect it as best as I can.

Removed the old charge cooler bracket and battery tray/frame;

I'm gonna need the Dremmel and not the angle grinder, to free the rear bumper from the reinforcer. As you can see, I am just making a mess;

Even the unstoppable Irwin bolt grips were defeated;

I split the front bumper slam panel and skin from the "looks alright" bumper reinforcer;

Should clean up.

Ah.

The indicator/side light units are stuck, too. The studs inside them are just spinning.

Luckily, I knew T&N MR2 parts had a NOS front bumper reinforcer.
    I thought I never needed it, but I am glad it was still available. As, like the wings, these things just don't come up for sale.

I agree. My old RS1600i certainly does!
    I could park that thing up, fully functioning and then next time, half of huge lights wouldn't work or something. Lol.

Here's the business end

And the 'functional' rear boot

Removable bulkhead allows inlet maninfol to be took off via the boot

50% IMPORT

Reckon that is genuine JDM bird shit?

Been stripping more off it. This will be the theme for a (hopefully short) while, as I get it ready for bodywork and paint.

Side air intake, ducting and now redundant fan

Tight squeeze

Then I remebered an MR2 party piece. The removable side panels

Happy enough with condition in here. The only fucked bit is the sill and that is being replaced.

ST165 GT-4 brakes. Supposedly up to the job.

N/S/F inner arch

Bit disappointed with the state of it in here, once I removed the plastic shit guards. This is going to need a fair bit of work

Thankfully - and as expected, due to the rest of the car, the N/S/F is much better

Just the one hole to contend with and it had already been (badly) patched from inside the boot

Rear end

Front lights out, wings and bumper off

Nice

'Pretty' tight

Front bumper reinforcer is serviceable, at least

What a fuck on. I have snapped bolts everywhere and as you can see, I had to mangle the crusty wings, to access knackered fasteners.

Gutted the trims and carpets etc from the inside. The T-Bar seals didn't wanna really budge, though.
    I am going to need to find some new ones, I reckon

All good in here, too. Just a very small hole in passenger footwell and a bit of separation on the drivers side, where it meets the sill, so something that will be sorted when replacing the sills.

What is it with MR2's and stupidly tight/rounded mirror screws?! IRWINBOLTGRIPSLOANREQDNAYLORPLZ

Looks like the interior mirror will come out easily.

Bought this plate for it, too.

Now this more like it! :thumbsup:

First of - Outrun - Its all about the Magical Sound Shower for me! Lost most of my spends in the 80's to that damn game!

Next up, thats possibly the best first few posts we've had in ages! There I was about to post and ask how your front chassis legs were, scroll down a bit and oh my god, he's lopped em off!

Inspiring work - really should crack on and get mine started!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Haha Coconut Beach ftw. I just love that 8 bit sound.
    Just be glad it was only 20p a blast. Imagine dropping quids in!

I have to say, my chassis legs are/were a lot worse than I was expecting.
    I bet there's less patches on some family quilts!

It seems a decent car in the rest of the important areas, though. We shall see...

You started a WIP thread for yours, mate? I'm interested to have a look.
    There's plenty to enetertain me on here atm, being a noob.

I'm off for a nose about.

Mines been an ongoing project for er.... quite some time.... :icon_redface:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

That almost makes the bag of shit I bought look good, all respect to you, your skills are FAR beyond mine. What are the front suspension mounting like, they were what made me decide mine was scrap.

Alan...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast