Thread: Rattle from clutch?

Rattle from clutch?

Hi, my MK3 V6 (NOT a Woodsport conversion), has, since I bought it; had what I can only describe as a rattle from what I think is the clutch.
    It's a fairly high pitch rattle, that sounds very similar to what a heat shield vibrating on an exhaust sounds like. It happened when 'lifting off' the throttle, or at idle, but not on load, or acceleration.

I don't do long distances in this car, it's just a toy. However, last night I drove 3hrs to Castle Combe for 'Rallyday'.

Tonight on the way home, the problem became worse, the rattle is all the time, with the exception of hard acceleration. Noisiest on lift-off.

Then about 50 miles from home, I started to get a bad vibration, on load at 70mph. The vibration stops if the clutch is dipped.

I dropped my speed to below 60, then 10 miles more and the vibration returned, so dropped speed again, to 50. Then after 20 miles (a couple of roundabouts) the vibration completely stopped, but the rattle remains.

What's my worst case scenario? Engine, gearbox?
    Any excuse for a V8 or a turbo engine conversion, don't tell the wife though.

Whatever the issue, I'll be doing it at home over the winter, the car will be off the road now.
    Last edited by nads1978; 28-02-2015 at 09:53.

That's quite odd, matt (Dr Hoon) has some similar issues which I think we've all decided is the diff that ferked.

I'm not sure your rattle and the vibration are the same thing. The rattle could just be the release bearing. The vibration, esp if it comes and goes sounds like the same as matts. I tool it for a short drive up.the street and back, and it feels like the diff is a solid beam axle. On full lock setting off with a bit of power you can almost hear it grating.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    On full lock setting off with a bit of power you can almost hear it grating.
    I must admit, when I set off from Combe, I could hear a sporadic grinding noise, for only a second every 20 secs. But didn't hear it after 5 mins.
    So should I have an axle on standby? or diff, or what?

If the rattle is the release bearing, is that pretty simple, could anything else be affected (need ordering)?

If your gearbox is doing the same as Matt's, you're looking at a replacement gearbox.

If the gearbox is coming off then you might as well review the whole clutch kit.

C.

Thanks for your help, a couple more q's:
    Is there any reason a 6 speed box wouldn't be suitable (assume I need a mk2 box for the v6).
    Also, would the clutch be a standard mk2, mk3 or other?

I think the Woodsport 6 speed box only works with the 2gr, could be wrong.

Which v6 engine do you have? Probably you're going to need a fast road clutch, certainly not a standard clutch.

C.

6 speed will work with all the v6 and turbo engines if the s series na and e153 fit then the 6 speed will work with that engine.
    There maybe a gearbox mount that needs adjusting or making or that mr woods sells with the gearbox conversion and you may need his motor mount, he can advise better on this.
    If going for the six speed option you may need a different clutch and axles plus after spending that amount for the sex speed you should shell out for the quaife LSD as well.

Rattle from clutch?

It is the 1mz fe engine, from the Camry.

Also, I have seen a mk2 gearbox for sale (guess a 5 speed), says it has an LSD, is there any way to test, or see visually it has one?

I saw another for sale, from an early mk2, which says it has a cable output for the speedo, I guess this is not suitable?

Thanks for all the help guys, I think a call to Paul is in order on Monday.
    Last edited by nads1978; 28-02-2015 at 09:54. Reason: new info