Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK3 Power Steering Issue

MK3 Power Steering Issue

Just bought our first MK3 although we have had 6+ MK1's & a MK2 Turbo in the past.

It failed the MOT on no power steering, been doing some reading/searching but not found the answer to this question even over on mr2roc.org, when the ignition is switched on the P/S light comes on then a few seconds later goes off. If I switch on the ignition & listen behind the offside headlight where I believe the PS pump is I can't hear it running is this normal? or does the engine have to be running before it starts?

Going to look at the U/J, fluid level, leaking pipes etc. but want to start the troubleshooting at the pump.

Alan...

Hi Alan,

On the Mk2's at least the relay is a good place to start. If the light comes on and goes off maybe it thinks its working ok? Also on the Mk2 there's a solenoid on top of the PS ECU.

Usual stuff, check connections, check voltages etc.

c.

Thanks Chris, I seemed to remember on the MK2 that you had to start the engine before you got PS but at my age I seem to remember lots of things that didn't happen & forgot things that did.

Alan...

Shall check shortly; But think engine needs to be running
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

If it's similar to the MK2 then there should be a relay somewhere in the frunk/footwell, it's worth checking this as well.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Just checked at Lunch, engine needs to be running.

Cheers Jiff, that would be why I couldn't hear it the morning :rofl: Can't wait to get home for a play even though it might be costly if the pump is goosed.

Alan...

Plenty of spares about at the moment.

We did a thread somewhere about the usual things to look for when getting a Mk3, just like any car, some things are worse than others.
    Grab yourself a cheapo code reader from ebay too, very worthwhile.

So nothing happening on the PS pump front, tried to take it apart & the motor was full of carbon dust from the wear on the brushes (HUGE amount), but what I couldn't work out was how to get the armature out. Looks like the brushes are on a plastic insulated plate & I can see the fixing screws but I don't see anyway to get to them.

The brushes are in the bottom of here

This is the control board no idea what any of it does, was hoping to find wires that went to the actaul motor to test it

This is after you have removed the resevior was hoping to see something that held on the armature in place

This is the part number if anyone has one laying around/

Are there any wiring diagrams anywhere?

Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon View Post
    Grab yourself a cheapo code reader from ebay too, very worthwhile.
    Any recommendations? It also failed on high emissions 'Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive' put a friends reader on & it found no codes.

Alan...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast