12345612 ...

thread: MR2 TDI Build Thread!

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Just look at the diesel drifters with Volvo turbos hilarious fun or the big rig races

Sep 2014
    Worcestershire/Herefordshire
    I'm really wrestling with time at the moment, the new job requires 7 more hours a week than my last job and its an hour away where the last job was 11mins. That and making bio has meant a huge reduction in car time :(

I'm working on it though (getting more time and the car)

The engine is finally out :) :) :)

There are a few more bits to harvest from the toledo then its off to the scrap yard in the sky:

There is a nice DOC to sell under there somewhere. There diesel in the tank to extract and some sections of exhaust might come in useful too.

I'm still undecided on which direction to go now. Strip the loom, learn more about the MR2 loom, or just get stuck in stripping and tuning the TDI motor first???

Well I've got to stop the scimitar exhaust tapping on the floor of the car first and fit new track rod ends to the pug. But hopefully in the not too distant future I can get a solid 8 hours on this.

More to come

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Hi,

The best advice I can give is "little and often", it really helps to keep these projects alive. Don't leave it for weeks waiting for that free weekend. A half hour here or there can turn up some results.

Not sure how much tuning you were planning, but I would be tempted to remove anything from the engine you don't need, then start prepping the loom.

I generally strip the loom tails, if they will thread into the boot space then you can hide a lot of it in there anyway. Tone out the tails and tag the ends with masking tape, you can write on it and it will help you start to map out what you need. A lot of the loom that isn't already going to the ecu doesn't get used on swaps.

Chris.
    Last edited by cdwood2010; 14-09-2014 at 10:27.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Question for you - why was it you chose a VW diesel and gearbox and not a Toyota one ?

Sep 2014
    Sound advice CDWood, I've already got all the labelling done. I'm thinking I might rip into the engine too, its certainly the most entertaining part of a project :)

Gavsdavs, to be perfectly honest the idea of a toyota diesel hadn't entered my head. I realise now, it would have made life a bit easier. Forgive me for stereo-typing but the word diesel doesn't jump into my head when I think of Japanese cars, although when I think about it, I know of the D$D and know its a cracking motor.

The reason I went with VAG rather than any other engine was that I've had some experience with them and found them to be fantastic, robust and very tunable engines. There is also something very appealing about doing something that's not been done before. (or not very much).

Nov 2008
    London
    Hi Lozzzzzz,

Good to see you made it here. I can see the interest mounting already mate :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Sep 2014
    I spent most of this morning pulling the last few bits off the toledo, the first length of exhaust pipe, the gear linkage and a few nuts and bolts. I put the bumper back on, and the bonnet. Drained the tank and put it in the daily driver.

Then out came the Scimitar and in went the MR2. I've taken a few bits off it and had a good look over it. I think I'm going to do something like what I did with the Toledo. Label everything up as I disconnect it, take the engine and box out, then open up the loom and check there is nothing in that stretch of loom that I need.

So this is where I'm at at the moment. It still doesn't look like much progress, but I really have run out of other things to do now :)

This might sound strange, but I really like working on Toyotas, this is the fourth Toyota I've worked on and they just seem to be so well put together. Everything is in a sensible place, well made with dimple topped captive washer bolts, and all rather well thought out.

More to come.

Sep 2014
    A few questions for you well informed Mr Two people.

I've found the temp sensor that switches on the fan, and the inlet air temp sensor in the air box, so what the hell is this?

And if someone could explain roughly what these are, that would be great?

And lastly. In the next photo is the "fan control" box, I assume this is the engine bay fan rather than the radiator fan so can this be un-picked from the engine loom and run with a different engine in there?

What is the 4 pin connector covered in sponge? (it looks like an afterthought)

Are the 3 big connectors on the ECU grouped sensibly? I found that the engine would nearly run with the "thinner wires" plug not connected to the ECU, I thought it might be the for the instruments up front, but they still worked too? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Pic1, dunno actually.

Pic2, those are the loom plugs that go to the mk2 fuse box. The thick white one(s) are the main power up from the alternator.

Pic3, yes that's the relay for the engine bay fan. You could just lose all that and hard wire it.

C.

Feb 2006
    Kingdom of Fife
    Pic 1 is of a potentiometer that adjusts the fuel mixture (only works at idle rpm, if it's similar to a MK1 then that's up to 3600 rpm)
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

12345612 ...

•