Hi everybody. I've been posting a little bit about my latest project on a few forums and Torero from the IMOC forum suggested I post here too as you folks might like the project. Perhaps I should move to a thread in the.... I'm not sure what section really, I'm building an MR2 TDI (mk2).

I've had a mk1 a few years back and a Supra mk3, I loved both cars and wanted a mk2 for some time.

Let me explain this strange idea. This summer I have been building a biodiesel plant and am now making fuel at somewhere between 25-28p per liter. I've also taken a new job which is miles away. Joining the dots you can see that I be stupid not to drive a diesel of some kind. After looking at the option, I've found there are some interesting (fast) diesels about. But I could do with an older distributor pump type (90s) to run on "rough" (not 100%) biodiesel. And I'm not keen on heavy FWD handling, its horrible! I really enjoyed owning my previous MR2 so thought why not try an MR2 TDI.

So this is going to be a tuned diesel engine wrapped in a nice car. That's how I'm thinking of it anyway. I'll tune to near 180hp and it will have plenty of low grunt for boring (or not so boring) commuter type driving.

So here is it:

The first thing I did was have all the rust and dents sorted (I'm not good with rust repairs). This is it after picking up from the bodyshop. It still needs a polish but is completely rust and dent free and seems to be water tight too :).

I've been looking for an engine for months (cheap and lowish miles) and finally found this last week.

I'm really happy with my purchase and think I've got it a at a reasonable price. It's a 1999 seat toledo with a 110hp AHF engine, soon to run out of MOT and Tax but still legal long enough to get it home. It has 89k on the clock and cost me £450.

I've not had long on it due to starting a new job that entails rather a lot of commuting, but here is the progress so far. I've just been stripping the loom, and labelling.

Its one fo the very last distributor pump type TDI engine from VAG and can be tuned plenty :)

I want to get it running on the garage floor, then carefully strip away all the wiring I don't need leaving the engine loom and instrument cluster, and hopefully adding a cruise control stalk for good measure.

I plan to:
Bin the dual mass flywheel in favour of the G60 solid flywheel and VR6 clutch (can take 300ft.lb)
port the head and regrind the valves for good measure
fit a new water pump and cambelt kit
fit a "tuning box" for 140 + hp

Then later on, when all the problems are ironed out
Fit a PD130 turbo and manifold and larger injectors and a larger intercooler to get it closer to 180hp

I can't wait, its great to get started on a new project.

Keep posting progress here if people are interested (and if I don't get my account blocked for ruining an MR2 :) )