Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: MR2 TDI Build Thread!

I did a sort of build thread on a bio forum, but to be honest, they'd all done it before, and it turn more into a help and advice thread as I went along. Which was very useful. but consequently I haven't got a great many photos of the build really.

I'll put something together if you like, when I have a bit of time on my hands.

After spending several hours fixing the bio machine I finally got round to making some more adjustments to Mr Two. This one is to make the car a little more "get in and drive" when someone else uses it, rather than spending 10 minutes explaining the little nuances of the car.

I wanted the gearshift to work a little like the BMW I used to own. Push left for 1st and 2nd, push hard left for reverse. As it is, it can be difficult to decern between 1st and reverse. So I made this.

And welded it on to the base plate by the gear lever (note that when the gear lever is moved left or right, the lever in the left of the photo moves forwards and backwards).

Then finally got round to reducing the diameter of the Toledo gear stick top, and gluing it into the MR2 gear nob.

The finaly test was to lend the car to the missus and see if she could find all the gears with no issues, and...... she can :) Although "it is a bit hard to get reverse"..... I can't b****y win!!! :)

More to come

Were you not a bit concerned about removing all the OEM VW emissions gear....oh, wait a minute....

Hehehe, I don't feel so bad about removing the EGR if VAG weren't using it anyway :)

Hi folks its been a while, I've done about 12000 miles in Mr Two now and its going very well. I have recently done a few little jobs to try and get it up to scratch.

Firstly I've painted up and cut the holes in spare MR2 dash that someone kindly gave me :) That's now fitted and doesn't have a huge crack across it :)

The sump plug seemed pretty loose last time I changed this oil, so this time I took it off and tapped an M15 thread in there and fitted an oversize plug. I cleaned it out too although I was very pleased to see how clean it was.

It seems to be smoking a little when cold, all clear after a mile or less but idling from fresh cold there is a fair bit of blue smoke. In addition the VNT seems to be getting pretty clogged and producing over-boost limp mode (nearly all the time recently). I took the Turbo off and cleaned it up. I attacked the VNT with oven cleaner then a little time in the ultrasonic cleaner at work, its now totally free. I replace the turbo cartridge with a new one and checked the oil supply.
    I also replaced the heaters for cold starting and took the injector nozzles off and ultrasonically cleaned them too.

Finally got it all back together yesterday which was nice as my crappy 106 has given up and the Scimitar still waits patiently for Pre MOT prep in a few months.

Has it cured it.....

It seems not. I just went out to cold start it again and its still smoking away. Oh well, its got lots of new bits and works.

More to come.

Nice update. Worst case scenario is engine wear, valve guides or such. I'm not a diesel expert but I'm guessing you've looked at cold start over fueling etc.

The good news is that you now have a working MR2 diesel, all the hard work done you could always find a low mileage lump and drop that in.

But 12000 miles is about 12000 more than most whacky projects like this generally see, so get the kettle on and make yourself a huge mug full of win, with a couple of spoonfuls of smug.

Downright excellent work sir.

:)

Chris.

Hi everybody.

I’ve done 55000 trouble free miles in the car now. And it seems the time has come for another project. I would like to go electric next, short range but serious acceleration for a nice little commute to work car. The MR2 is an ideal candidate......

However to start this project on my MR2 would mean undoing all of the work I have done turning into this quite unique Toyota/VAG MR2 TDI. As much as I’d love to keep it and add it to the museum of my projects I don’t have the room of time to keep another car. So my options are sell it or convert it to electric.

I’m writing on here to see if there is anyone interested in buying my White MR2 TDI. It will come with a fresh MOT, a full service including cambelt and water pump (stuff I won’t be doing if it is to become electric) and the knowledge that it’s done 55000 reliable miles in its current form.

It is a very well sorted car, I have relied on it as my only insured car for a few years, it’s been very reliable, fun and easy to live with much like an OEM car (Toyota should have made one). I should probably mention at this point that the smoke issue (in my last post) was due to my home made fuel. Anyone interested in the car will be able to see that it doesn’t smoke at all on pump diesel.

Rot free examples of these car’s are beginning to go up in value and the bodywork is in excellent, rust free condition! It’s a good example of early mk2, with a solid VAG TDI engine, it will be fully serviced, ready to be driven or tuned. It has featured in Practical Performance Car magazine and will come with a copy of that issue. I am looking for offers in the region of £3000. I am in a position to wait and see, and will simply start the electric conversion next year if there is no interest. If you are interested you’re welcome to come and view the car, we can go for a drive as it’s insured and taxed for another month or so. If someone wants to secure the car, I will need a non refundable deposit to cover the expense of the service work that I will carry out.

At this point I’m just looking to see if there is any interest. Thanks folks :)

if you want a base for an electric project you can come take my AW11 shell.

Thats very tempting, although I did have an aw11 before and I have to say I think I prefere the mk2 as a better all round car.

I did say free, didn't I? Free shell.

All the preparations for sale are done, she's photographed and up on ebay as a classified ad. The price is a very tricky one to guage, there is nothing else like it! But as the advert says I'll consider sensible offers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR...cAAOSwhIZbHYB0

As some of you will know my next project will be to electrify a sports car, quite possibly an MR2, if this one doesn't sell as it is then I'll just be hanging onto it. This is the reason that I haven't yet done the cambelt and oil service. But I want to be clear... For a good offer I will get the two new front tyres, do an oil and filter change and a cambelt and water pump service, then get a fresh 12 moths MOT before passing the car on.

Thanks for looking

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819