Thread: Welding Sill Repair

Welding Sill Repair

Quick question - If I was looking to get some welding repairs done on a mk2 rear sills / corner, do you need to drain the fuel and / or remove the fuel tank?

Debate with a guy in work - I didn't think it was necessary given where the work is on the car, but he's worried about potential kaboom moment..

Cheers,
    Ross

Not really my man. Obviously disconnect the battery, but the tank is pretty far away from the sill. I certainly wouldn't...

Agree with the above. You may wish to wear lead clothing to protect from potential radiation burning, but that too, is probably a bit overkill! :eusa_silenced:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

That was my opinion too.. Cheers for the comments.

Things only go boom in the movies. I wouldn't worry about the tank unless you're heading across the floor towards the tank.

Get the car nice and high though with the rear wheels off, its a bugger on the floor. The rear ends of the sills are purely cosmetic, but they need to look sound and be rust free because they are close to main structural points. To my mind, if you can beat the shit out of it with a FBH when you're done, it's a winner.

I recently did my outers / rear ends on the grey car:-

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...e-Sill-Welding

Chris.

I had my car over my mates inspection pit on Saturday and he was showing me the little plastic hammer he has to use for banging sills and stuff (not like in our day which was a ball pain type metal hammer with a pick on the other end) apparently you can't hit it very hard just a gentle tap.
    Sills are mega far from the tank it being in the middle of the car, post pics up if your worried and we can advise from there.