Thread: Mk1.5, smell of petrol.

Mk1.5, smell of petrol.

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help, I've recently purchased a mk1.5 and it seems to have quite a strong smell of petrol when I'm driving it, It has no obvious signs of fuel leaks so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas ?

Cheers, Les.

Fuel tank breather exits into chassis rail some times the tank gets over pressurised and fuel vapour seems to fill the cabin up.
    Check the breather and tank for any holes or try and get it on stands and smell underneath the car .

Do you have a pressure regulator plumbed in and check the fuel cap is breathing normaly I get a woosh as opening the cap seems to be air rushing into the tank

Also I've noticed when there is an airlock in the rad the heater pipes get very hot and can boil the petrol creating more vapour, it seems some cars do it and some don't.

very common in all aw11 chassis not just mk1.5
    if youre certain there are no signs of a fuel leak anywhere ie filter location and vapour catch piping i would suggest running a new hose from the chassis valve exit all the way to the back of the car. i did this with all of the aw11s ive had to solve the problem.

this courtesy of jinxy and a post on the pink pages a while back;
    Its just behind the battery low down on the front of the chassis rail, the picture below was taken leaning over the engine from the drivers side between the battery & fire wall, you can see the extended pipe from the vapour trap facing the rear of the car. About 5 inches from the vapour trap you can clearly see where the original pipe dissapears into the chassis. The other piccy shows the view from under the rear of the car on the passenger side, follow the pipe from the vapour trap & you can see where it comes out next to the camera shot :-

This was brought up on the mk1 forum recently. The easy fix is to just disconnect that white valve. You can run a fresh pipe to somewhere else but most don't bother.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look. :-)