Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3sge flywheel question...

3sge flywheel question...

Hello. New to this forum and first I must say... Wow! So much more info than the US sites. Thank you for everything so far.

Question I had was if the gen2/3 3sgte flywheel shares the same bolt pattern at the crank as the 3sge gen2, 3, 4? We never got these obviously and anyone here that has one is unwilling to help.

Thanks in advance.

Also I saw a brief mention that some form of Caldina had a 236mm/ 20 spline clutch disc. Any idea what years and motors?

Hello and welcome to Twobrutal!

The turbo and n/a flywheels both share the same crank bolt pattern. The pressure (cover plate) bolt pattern is different.

The turbo clutch disc has 21 splines and the n/a disc has 20 splines. (or the other way around possibly )

So the flywheel can be whatever.

The pressure plate needs to fit the flywheel.

The clutch disc needs to fit the gearbox.

So you can fit a turbo flywheel and pressure plate and an n/a disc, assuming that you wanted a clutch with.the clamping force of the turbo that would fit up with an n/a gearbox.

Hope that makes sense.

In case it doesn't, just to confuse you further, some clutch manufacturers will build you a turbo clutch with an n/a spline in the middle, so you literally can have your cake and eat it.

Chris.

Thank you so much. Definitely makes sense. Guess what I'm trying to figure out is if 3sge and 3sgte share same crank pattern but 3sge uses same clutch disc as my 5sfe then should be able to buy gen2-3 clutch and flywheel to bolt my 3vzfe to my s54.

Most posts here still show modifying flywheel or mix matched combo so my logic maybe flawed.

Hi,

Yes we mod flywheels for a different reason tho. The 3vz, 1mz and 2GR V6 engines all share the same bolt pattern. I have fitted drilled flywheels to 3VZ and 1MZ, but for my 2GR build (c. 325bhp) i went Fidanza, on the advice of many.

The 5S-FE (2.2) USDM engine also uses the same bolt pattern as the N/A MR2. I recently got my hands on one for comparison. The 5S-FE is thicker around the boss, you can just about make out the lack of step, so is probably a better option for drilling. In the first pic you will see a large washer (which comes from a Cammy V6) and i normally get them cut down to sit in the middle, vut i didnt use one on the 5S-FE flywheel as it was not only thicker, but made the crank bolts touch the disc (Yanks take note!)

Hope this helps, and don't be afraid to jump in with any other questions.

Chris.

Helps a lot. Thanks. So little info here just thought maybe was a magic trick. I've swapped using turbo trans but not s54. Best option really is to quit being stingy and do things right. Either custom clutch or turbo trans. Leaning more for turbo trans so will hold the power of boost. N/A motors are a dog at this altitude. 25% power loss is no joke.

Turbo Tranny is heavy but will hold a lot of power. A turbo clutch will hold more power sure, but you're only as strong as the weakest link.

C.

Indeed. Thank you again so much.

Very welcome, don't forget to start a build thread, we love this stuff.

And pics. We like pics.

:)

Will do. I'm driving it daily now so collecting parts so will all go in over a few days when ready.

Spoke with ACT clutch and confirmed part #3000614 is $157.00 USD for swap disc using 3sgte flywheel and pressure plate. Will be going that route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast