Thread: Is there a standard immobiliser on the mr2 rev1

Icon11 Is there a standard immobiliser on the mr2 rev1

Hi, I just bought a 'J' reg rev 1 and my insurance company want to know if the car has an immobiliser and if it's up to thatcham standard, does anyone know how I can find out please?

Hello and welcome.

Probably not, but you're looking for either a blinky light on the instrument cluster when you lock the door to show theres an alarm.

If the car has an immobiliser then you would have a key fob that goes into a slot On the dash somewhere.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barringtonten View Post
    Hi, I just bought a 'J' reg rev 1 and my insurance company want to know if the car has an immobiliser and if it's up to thatcham standard, does anyone know how I can find out please?
    As standard only MR2s from 1995 onwards are cat 1 / cat 2 compliant from the factory. There is no factory cat 1 alarm or cat 2 immobiliser system listed for pre-95 MR2s. (info taken from the current Thatcham compliance list).

As for aftermarket alarms all of the current cat 1 compliant systems have a remote arm / disarm (so look for a remote keyfob). All the cat 2 immobilisers use either a transponder or contact key to disarm. Generally there'd also be fitting certificates or other documentation in with the car's paperwork, insurers sometimes ask to see them for confirmation of fitting.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Try pinching it. Not only will it be fun to test your Cars level of security, but you might find it an agreeable hobby.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Try pinching it. Not only will it be fun to test your Cars level of security, but you might find it an agreeable hobby.

:)
    Interesting insurance claim lottery that one....
    JFDI

I drive mine as if i've stolen it already, but then some idiot gave me the keys!

My rev 2 came with alarm immobiliser fitted as standard and on a L plate