thread: Power Steering pump always running ?

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I don't understand why you'd want to, it's a non issue to be honest, the PS still works the same way with varied resistance, just sometimes runs on for longer.

However if you put a simple switch on the PS solenoid trigger wires you could knock it off manually..... but meh really.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Just thinking of Gavs issue where his pump is in meltdown. Might be an idea to be able to isolate it. Maybe switch it on when youre parking.

Also mine seems to turn off when i want it on. Haven't really tested, but reversed off the driveway and it was off, restart the engine and it kicks off again.

c.

Jun 2006
    South Wales
    Hmm... interesting.

So - speed variable assist still works ok? PS ecu would be getting speed signal data then.

Assume power down would be if speed is 0, and steering hasn't moved for 30 seconds or so (steering wheel sensor?). Does it go off if steering isn't centred?

Surprised that this is engine ecu triggered though (or at least relies on that feedback wire) as I would have thought it would have been easier to implement into PS one. :icon_confused:

Oh well - just disable it completely and you will know exactly what it's doing at all times..... :icon_mrgreen:

Mar 2005
    You also have to remember Toyota PS is not a black and white condition, it has an ECU which dictates when it should work full time and when it knocks off, you will notice on first start up they all knock off after a short period of wheel inactivity.

Also the pumps are designed to run all the time, so if Gavs is in "melt down" then he has a power steering system fault aside from the usual swap related behaviour.

It really is a non issue, everyone with a V6 has fully operational PS that varies with speed.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Mar 2005
    The Mk2 PS solenoid is also a VERY troublesome part, it controls main power to the pump, the variation of speed is controlled on the earthing side of the pump motor, but if the solenoid sticks (very very common) then you get no PS at all.

The "fix" for that is to put both heavy cables on the solenoid on the same pole, it bypasses the solenoid with no side effects, no battey drain and it will never suffer that particular issue again.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Paul and I just had a chat about this and i want to make a few things clear.

I do not have any problems with my power steering, it all works just fine.
    I was just asking about the behaviour I was seeing and fishing for other people's views on it.

Pauls' statement about the non-native ECU not driving the correct signals to the PS ECU makes the most sense.

Just thinking of what I can do to tackle this - maybe a new PS pump. I'm still on the original pump which is probably pretty tired now.
    The BGB says you can replace just the motor bushes but i suspect that's a toyota only part. PS pumps are reasonably common on ebay.

It's just a bit odd that the PS pump does power itself down after the engine has started (10 second delay or so), but after the car has been running a while it runs constantly.

Gavs.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Stop being a girly girl and man up fit a manual rack out of a rev 1 end of ps issues, bonus less weight you will exercise more and build up those girly arms.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Stop being a girly girl and man up fit a manual rack out of a rev 1 end of ps issues, bonus less weight you will exercise more and build up those girly arms.
    The g/f drives it too ya know :-)

Sep 2007
    stockport
    The g/f drives it too ya know :-)
    Bet she's stronger than you hahahaha lol.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Nobody has a right arm as well developed as yourself eh Tiggs :) ??

•