thread: Power Steering pump always running ?

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe

Power Steering pump always running ?

I'm not sure how long this has been happening - I originally thought it was the fuel pump.

When the car has been running a while it seems the power steering pump decides it wants to run constantly.
    (so when you're sat still the pump is still going full chat)
    When the car is cold it will start the engine but the pump dies off after 10-15 seconds.

As a result the pump has become pretty noisy - I might consider a replacement but I'm not sure it's the pump that's at fault.

Is there I can check ??

Gavs.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    There's a relay in the frunk next to the power steering ECU, both of which are fairly easy to swap out.

I probably have both. Somewhere.......

c.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    I will investigate. Might even just need a clean.

Aug 2010
    Ireland
    My power steering electric pump is always running, and that seems rather odd to me, it never stops

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Is that normal then? Does the pump run constantly for everyone else?

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Nope, its supposed to run at start-up and then power down if you're not 'steering', then power up on demand. I think.

They do seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

c.

Nov 2008
    London
    It should shut down after being static for a minute and also after a specific speed as the front end becomes lighter

Unsure what the exact speeds/times are but Chris is correct it should shut down Gav.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    Nope, its supposed to run at start-up and then power down if you're not 'steering', then power up on demand. I think.

They do seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

c.
    Yeah - there are times when it isn't running constantly. Not sure what's at fault though - fluid....relay...ecu...I suspect not the pump itself though it's getting worn out...

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    This is a 2gr side effect, with the stock 3s-ge/gte ECU there is a feedback wire that runs from the ECU to the PS ECU, which will shut it down at certain times.

This control wire is not on the 2gr ECUs as far as i'm aware, so while all Mr2s with 2grs have perfectly working power steering they can exhibit strange idle behaviour.

It's not something we can do anything about and is just one of those anomolys running with a conversion, i should be noted that the PS still works in a varied assistance manner as normal regardless of this extra control wire.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Very interesting paul, thanks for that.

Is there some way that you can add a manual control to the PS?

C.

•