Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single wiper conversion

Single wiper conversion

Here we go for anyone who wants to do this conversion i will do it step by step it does work, 1st disconect battery!

1) Undo the 2 nuts holding the wiper arms on and remove wiper arms
    2) Take out the 11 screws holding the scuttle pan in place and remove it
    3) On the passenger wiper side you will find 2 push fitting arms one goes to wiper motor the other goes to drivers side wiper pry them off
    4) Undo the 3 10 mm bolts holding the passenger side wiper mechanism in place and remove it
    5) On the back of the larger ball you will see a mushroom shaped weld grind this off and using a punch tap the ball out do Not damage the ball
    6) measure 15mm from the centre of the hole where the ball came out of towards the middle of the mechanism and mark it with a punch this must be smack on 15mm away from the centre of the hole
    7) Drill a new hole exactly the same size of the hole the ball came out of
    8) Push ball back in new hole and reweld it in place
    9) Refit the mech in place with the 3 10mm bolts and tighten
    10) Turn on ignition and put wiper onto intermediat go to front and touch battery on watch the wiper mech turn and make sure all is clear when the motor stops at its rest position take battery wire of again
    11) Push the wiper motor fitting back on to the mech not the one that goes to drivers side
    12) Refit passenger wiper arm and tighten in its normal rest possition now touch the battery back on and watch as your single wiper clears the whole screen, Are YOU happy if yes go to drivers side wiper mech and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding it in place and remove it along with the conecting rod place on a shelf out of the way as no longer needed
    13) remove passenger wiper arm and put scuttle panel back on to fill the hole where drivers wiper would have been i used a plastic cap off a paint roller it does fit

Your new single wiper will work as normal all 3 speeds photos and vid are on here to watch!

Good luck it took me an hour to do this to my car:-

Grind This Off:-

Tap this out:-

Measure 15mm centre:-

Weld back in:-

Here's a video of the finished wiper:-

Last edited by cdwood2010; 01-02-2012 at 19:16. Reason: tidy up

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    That is awesome! Deffo having a go on mine!

Do you want me to tidy up this thread a bit?

Chris.
    yes please Chris there are a couple of more photos on here of where to grind off thanks Andy

Wow Chris thanks

For anyone that thinks this may not work my hose has thawed out a bit today so here is a little video of it working i would say this would be a hell of a downpour

Also a side veiw of my car

Last edited by cdwood2010; 03-02-2012 at 13:37. Reason: tidy up a bit more!

Very impressive :thumbsup: are you still using the standard length passenger wiper then?

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Thats actually a pretty simple and ingenius solution. i presume to get the 1990s BTTC Max Power vertical wiper you simply rotate the motor arm 90 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Very impressive :thumbsup: are you still using the standard length passenger wiper then?
    yes just everything standard mate but i did notice that on full speed with all that water on it just catches the scuttle pan so you could either measure 14mm from old hole centre instead of 15 mm, but in all honesty when its on normal speed it does not touch hope this helps Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytank View Post
    Thats actually a pretty simple and ingenius solution. i presume to get the 1990s BTTC Max Power vertical wiper you simply rotate the motor arm 90 degrees?
    I am not sure if that would be an mot pass tommy but this way will, Also i would say 45 degrees i think on the motor, the arm is pointing at 9 oclock looking at it, so to make the wiper sit on the screen at the 12 oclock position you would need to take the wiper motor of and undo the little arm turn it down to 6 oclock then when put back on the wiper should be at 12oclock on your screen i think with a little

A company called storm is selling these kits for £80 but all you are paying for is a new arm and blade (dont buy it ) this is simple and effective and as said before if you are not happy just put it back to normal simples

I'll certainly be doing this.

You mentioned the MOT earlier Andy, I assume their is no issues with this, I can't see that there would be an objection if it is fully functional.

John,

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast