Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Body Paint/Wrap

UK Body Paint/Wrap

So, i'm abit of a perfectionist, meaning that any bubling, swirling, scratches or dings in paint drive me mad. So, i will be getting a bodykit fitted with time, which will require painting/coating.

Anyone got any experience on wrapping cars yourself? From what i can gather a top notch respray if i did all the prep myself would be around £1500-2000, just for the spraying and paint, whereas getting it wrapped / wrapping it myself would come in at about £1000, saving much time and inconvenience not having my car for however long.

Does the wraps last? I've seen people quoting 5 years, which i would be happy with, do they look as good as paint? Any info much appreciated.

Mike

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    If you're a bodywork perfectionist then vinyl wrap is not for you, i personally hate the stuff, it lifts, bubbles and fades.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

A good wrap using the 3 m new stuff will be like 2k as much as paint, it shows up the slightest mistakes in your existing bodywork and the supercar guys only get it done by one garage in London.
    A badly done wrap stands out like a baboons arse I was looking at plasti dip which has its own draw backs.

So how much would a professional pretty much perfect spray be on a bodykit + roof etc if i prepped it myself (sanded etc).

The more i look round the more variance i get on sites.

2 to 3k all depends on how much work you do and if they will let you do it, some of the bodyshops round here want to do every thing in house to keep up consistency of product.

Also depends on which paint, a generic red white blue will cost less than a house of colour red white or blue which can be several times more but achieve a huge difference and be costly to repair stone chips wise.

Are you going for show room or earls court concours de elegance standard?

Same problem I am having. I can't find anyone within 300 miles of here to take my car in for paint.
    (Well- sure there are shops that will paint it for 10grand)

I have driven the wrapped vehicles at work and I would never suggest it for anything personal. It looks like wallpaper up close, I don't care how good it is applied.

A good paint job is easily 2500 & up. I've received quotes from 4500 to twelve thousand. For nothing more than a basic paint job & the body kit is already installed.

My last body guy was very cheap and does great work, but he's too busy (or simply doesn't want the job). I am going to most likely, do it myself. I've painted several cars over the years. I certainly would never use a wrap. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    2 to 3k all depends on how much work you do and if they will let you do it, some of the bodyshops round here want to do every thing in house to keep up consistency of product.

Also depends on which paint, a generic red white blue will cost less than a house of colour red white or blue which can be several times more but achieve a huge difference and be costly to repair stone chips wise.

Are you going for show room or earls court concours de elegance standard?
    This car is most likely going to be a car for me to keep as a car for a good 10 years or more, even if i get another one, mr2 has always be a fascination to me, i wouldn't buy a turbo, but instead stick a diff engine into this one. Like i say, i am a perfectionist, so, i would be looking for a "house" colour with a good protection level on it, and good depth to the clear coat / good quality clear coat to allow me to get it professionally detailed out. Hope that answers enough for you to answer.

Reality check. I applaud your intention to get good panels/good paint and I agree it's the right way to purchase.
    However - be realistic about the age of these cars.
    The paint on mine is in good nick - but on the original (un-re-painted) panels (like the doors and rear wings) - the lacquer is peeling at the edges. The rubber seams are faded to grey and are no longer as rubbery as they once were.
    You will be hard pushed to find original (i.e not already repainted) cars where this kind is not happening.

I can't help but think the only recourse for these remaining panels is a respray - but I'm no paint expert.

Buy based on chassis health - look hard for rust on the inner and outer sills - check if any bushes/renewal work has been done. Once you have a mechanically sound shell on your hands take your time on the prettification.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
    From what i can gather a top notch respray if i did all the prep myself would be around £1500-2000, just for the spraying and paint,
    That's a fair price for a full respray tbh. The gents I share workshop space with have taken on a few and I've seen how much prep goes into them. It can be a week or more (with a couple of people on it) before the car sees it's first drop of paint, then anything up to a day between paint / lacquer layers depending on the exact finish.

Customer prep can be a bit of a sticky subject when it comes to resprays. Pulling off trim, having the windows removed and things like that are rarely an issue for the customer to do in advance, whilst anything that could conceivably affect the finish of the final paint job should be left to the bodyshop. Paint is very very sensitive to contamination during the prep stages so helpful things like rubbing panels down before handing over the car can in reality make the final job more difficult.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

My hope was to get something good enough i could get it professionally detailed for around £750 to get it in a state i can live with it for 2-3 years till i get a bodykit/spray. I just have this OCD when it comes to paintwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast