Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm going 2ZZ

Why aren't you using the corolla one?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I've made a decision and have gone for the UK Celica one, the JDM one has a speed limiter which I hadn't thought about before. I've been reading that the Corolla one is a ball ache, it will run the engine but won't work with the MR2 dash

but you can run both ecu's. 1ZZ to power the dash, 2zz for the engine.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I've already bought a Celica ECU. I might see about wiring it up with 2 ECU's like you say, be able to save more money.

i've done several of these here in oz.

most jap imports we see up to 2002 dont have security immobilizer but you have to check because if it does, you need the matching master key to make it work. . avoid US spec stuff as they have a unique fuel tank venting system that will throw fault codes forever if you mate it up to a UK spec tank. You need the standard MRS 6 speed gearbox shifter end housing. avoid corolla stuff as inlet manifold different and wont fit. 2ZZ wiring loom totally useless. just modify the 1ZZ loom. again, take care, US instructions are wrong for all other markets I've ever dealt with.

do you know if all or only some UK Spc spyders had factory immobilizers/security keys????

If you use the celica ecu you will need the chip from the key and the ring from round the ignition barrel as some are on a different frequency to the MR2. You can use a JDM ecu as your running UK clocks so wont limit the speed. All UK MR2 roadsters had the security in the ECU but you can use the non security ecu on them without any problems

As far as the gearbox goes I think you can just use the Corolla box and fit the LSD from the MR2 in and tap a couple of holes in the box. Paul is the best guy to ask about that. I'm going to be using the 6 speed face lift gear box with the Celica internals fitted and the MR2 6th gear put on the Celica shaft.

Hi all... New to this forum. I am doing this exact swap and was looking for info on any issues I may find with the immobiliser.

If I buy a UK spec mk3 and a UK spec corolla, would I use the 1zz engine wiring harness, 2zz ecu, transponder and chip from the key, ecu conversion harness from monkey wrench and all should be fine?? Or am I missing something??

You will need the Celica ECU Monkey wrench wiring is no good for UK cars as you have to wire the immobiliser wires in as well I think. You will also need a different exhaust manifold and the o/s engine mounting bridge

Why the celica ECU and not the corolla ECU? Surely if they are both from the same 2zz engine they will both go into this swap in exactly the same way? I am ultimately going along the standalone route, would this bypass the immobiliser? Or will the ignition sensor still block it? I could also source an import ECU with no immobiliser.

In the past, I put a rev3 turbo into a rev4 UK car, but because the rev3 turbo never had an immobiliser there was no issue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast