Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm going 2ZZ

you could have some fun with the gearbox; the facelift has a 6 speed that you could salvage bits from, the 5 speed you could only salvage the diff from.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Thinking about it, is the 6 speed gearbox on the facelift the same as the one on the Celica (i'd assume so). If that's the case, the selector shaft and the reverse lock out could be sourced from an facelift MR2 and go straight onto the Celica box? Are the linkage cables the same on the 5 and 6 speed boxes? Saves me needing to order anything from Monkey Wrench Racing in the states. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I'll make my own engine mount bracket, my own dip stick tube and sort the wiring myself.

You'd assume wrongly I'm afraid.
    For starters the ratios in a 2zz box are totally different, which is why you want to be using the gearbox from a 2zz equipped car, not the roadster.
    The celica linkage exits from the front of the box, the MR2 from the rear.
    Still awaiting confirmation but I believe the cables and the gearlinkage assembly is different from the 5 to 6 speed MR2's
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I think i'm best off ordering the parts from MWR then, will save some hassle and make the swap quicker

If you get a 6 speed box you've got everything you need as together with the 2zze box you can make a 2zze with lsd. Some say you can use the 5 speed gear lever and cage if you do its a nightmare putting it in reverse but if you use the 6 speed cage and lever it goes in as it should. Cables are the same.

I'm a little confused. The 6 speed cage and lever from the Celica is fine for the MR2 linkage? It's just i've seen this part on MWR and i'm not sure what's special about it and what the problem is with the Celica selector?

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/pr...tmi84vp5cctfl1

No the MR2 6 speed cage 6 speed selector is the same as the MR2 one. Just buy a 6 speed MR2 box and swop Celica bits into it then sell your 5 speed box. LSD'S sell for about £150

When you say buy a MR2 6 speed and swap the Celica bits, what exactly are you talking about? The gearset from the Celica into the MR2 casing? Or did you mean swap the MR2 selector bits onto the Celica box?

I've got my head around this a bit more now. Does the LSD from a 5 speed MR2 fit into the Celica 6 speed box? (pretty sure it does, just want to confirm)

Also, does anyone do the engine mount bracket in the UK?

So i've just bought my donor car. A Corolla T-Sport. I now need to sort an ECU for it, i've got 2 options for the same price.

A UK one (2001) with the transponder and key and a JDM one. I've read so much in the past and can never find the right things to confirm.

The Japanese one doesn't need the immobiliser gubbins so it's easier to install. What are the other differences? Same lift point and rev limit? I read that the Japanese one doesn't support OBD? If that's the case, what do you do for diagnostics?

My Corolla is a 02 plate, I know you need to match up the knock sensor to the ECU. Which ECU is the Corolla knock sensor more likely to match up to?

What would you guys go with? UK or JDM?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast