Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm going 2ZZ

I'm going 2ZZ

I've just bought a MR2 on ebay with a damaged engine. The plan is to go with the 2ZZ engine.

I know it's been covered a few times but some things aren't all that clear as a lot of it is for American spec cars. I'm planning to do this conversion for as cheap as possible. I was initially going to buy a Celica 190 and break it for bits but I don't know if I want the extra hassle. I've found someone breaking one, going to get a list of parts.

I'll need the engine with ancillaries and gearbox, ECU, transponder thing that fits over the lock and the keys. Is there anything else?

I'm looking at the extra parts needed going by the MWR website

Dipstick tube - surely I can bend one from either engine to work?
    Engine mount spacer - looks simple enough, i'll make one
    Loom adaptor - There doesn't seem like many extra things that need to be wired, surely not needed?
    Selector shaft - Is this something I can make myself by welding the 2 from both gearboxes together?
    Reverse block out - not needed?
    Manifold - I've seen this, looks really cheap. Anyone used one? Does it do the job? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3213683377...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll be opening up both gearboxes and swapping the LSD over.

Are there any wiring diagrams knocking around for the conversion?

I think the 2zz from the corolla t sport may be easier swap, there are some wiring loom difficulties with the celica, Paul can fill you in but I think the loom is split in two with a connector block which makes things difficult.

You use the 1ZZ loom anyway and just patch in three extra wires for the vvti system so 2ZZ loom can then be binned. Then swap a few pins at the ecu plug and good to go.

Well that looks nice and straightforward :-)

I thought there was a reason that the Celica is worth looking for rather than the Corolla. I can't remember what that reason was now.

Thanks for the wiring diagram.

Anyone know about the hardware side of things? Can I lash up the selector shaft by making a hybrid of the 2 original shafts?

reverse block out is a toyota part - you'll need.
    Dipstick tube - Use 1zz and weld on some tabs.

Is your donor a PFL or FL?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Haven't got a donor yet but i've got my eyes on a 1999 Celica, Jap import. Am I right in saying there is no immobilizer to worry about and it's an easier swap?

How much is the reverse block out from Toyota? Do you know the part number?

I meant your mr2, not the 2zz donor.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

It's a 2000 W reg so pre-facelift. Does it make a difference?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast