Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3vzfe exhaust design

Have you played with the AFM and timing? :)

Regarding exhausts, I've fabricated a couple of sets up. I got to the point where I needed an engine back in the car to try the mk2 version out but just been too busy to sort. Once I know they fit I'll get a jig made.

Previously I've seen an increase in the magnitude of 25whp from the manifolds, on a car that already had a y-merge rather than the stock setup.

On my mk1 the car made 183whp before I made a full manifold setup for it, unfortunately I've not had time to get back to the dyno since but expect to see a similar increase (210whp).

Where's all this talk of throwing loads of money around come from? All in as the car stands including buying the car and engine im all in fir just under 2k, engine wise thats as follows,

98k 3vzfe engine that's been ported and polished
    jon sole remappable ecu
    egr delete
    catch can fitted
    afm modded by previous owner

and that's mated to a s54 with extended 5th gear and mk3 lsd. My ideal goal power wise would be as close to 250bhp as possible in n/a form without spending loads. It's widely said the above setup on stock ecu is good for 210-220bhp, now lets assume some tuning with jon's ecu gets me a solid 220bhp then another 15-20bhp from an exhaust setup pushes me very close to my goal and ill still have spent only £3k, now yes I could of built a 1mz for that but a 2gr not a chance and im interested in what these old iron lumps can do I don't need 350bhp plus in my daily my bike takes care of the speed aspects of life I just want to make the most of what i have got.

I suspect my plan now is refinish the car as is get a base dyno figure, get paul to do me one of those nice mild downpipes he's doing and fit a front stock manifold on the rear bank, dyno again with that fitted and ecu retuned see what that gives me then look at manifolds again later on

Wasn't me. :)

You know I'm all about spending less on a 3vz build rather than more.

With unlimited time and resources then yes, you can achieve whatever figure you like. But for me the further away from 'plopping in a 3vz' you go, you start to trade off the bulletproofness (a new word I think) Of the engine.

Some of my best builds so far were less not more.

The next 3vz build will be dropped straight in with the usual list of known cheap and easy tweaks.

I've never tinkered with the afm, it makes that vein in The Dark Lords head throb. Timing is on my list of things to play with though.

Chris.

The next 3VZ swap that I do- I am going to buy a set of these:

And alter the mounting flanges so that they will fit the engine. They're close already and OH so cheap. $238 bucks shipped. No idea about gains, but they are certainly cool and I bet they make a pretty sound.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACING-MANIF...891675&vxp=mtr

Those manifolds look well designed but the point where the pipes merge is terrible and has just copied the original restrictive t design

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12